2012 is Totaled Any Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
Given the state of the used car market, I would still consider a professional appraisal. You have done well to get them from $12,500 to $16,00, but to answer your question about the appraisal process, in my experience (twice now) the appraiser values the vehicle at what it would be worth had it NOT been damaged in the accident. I was very surprised at the $18,500 valuation on my 2012 given that it has 200K on the odometer, but the appraiser said with the current prices in the used car market, this is what it is worth. YMMV, of course.

I agree with you that the practice of lowballing the customer by the insurance company is despicable. As you said, we are paying them to make us whole again in the event our vehicles are damaged. My current situation is damage caused by a State of Colorado dump truck, police report showing 100% fault of truck driver, 0% fault on my part. So we all know that State Farm will get all of their money back from the State of Colorado (eventually) so why give me a lowball estimate that is almost half of the body shop estimate - and all without having made an in-person inspection of the vehicle.

Best of luck. I will be watching this thread to see how you make out.