2017 3.5 EB Oil Preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change my oil every 3,000 and the oil percent reading has never gone below 47%.
See at 3k miles my wife's is below 5%. I was told to do the oil change next time and send oil of to ne checked. But I know nothing about that or what the fees are. So I'm just going by the truck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stupid question...are you sure the oil monitor was reset at the last oil change?

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I change my oil every 3000 and my oil reading says ....oh wait, my truck doesn’t have an oil life reader.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stupid question...are you sure the oil monitor was reset at the last oil change?
Yes, and that's what this truck averages since I bought it. Recently it has 800 miles and at 75%.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Greg Coleman

Reaction score
Run regular oil in a flat tappet motor and you'll be putting a cam in it guaranteed. I run Brad Penn in my 460ci BBC even though it's a roller motor.

SE Mich. You go to Milan? Just moved from that area a couple of years ago.

This^ exactly. Short story: The K Mart across the street from Daytona Int'l Speedway used to be the #1 retailer of Mobil 1 in the country. Many race teams used to just go over and buy it. In the mid-90's, the API spec on motor oils changed to remove the zinc and phosphorous to keep the catalysts alive. The NASCAR cup engines still used flat tappet cams at that time. One February, ('94?) teams just went over and bought their oil by the case just like they had for years. And a LOT of cams got wiped out!! People were ready to kill engine builders, cam grinders, even the guys setting lash!! It took a couple of days to figure it all out, but there were some worn-out crew dogs from doing engine changes, and a few all-nighters swapping cams and lifters in fresh engines!

Bottom line is that any old car with a flat tappet CANNOT use an off-the-shelf synthetic oil!! Brad Penn, Amsoil, (Amway oil LOL), Joe Gibbs, Royal Purple, and more have oils specifically made for the older stuff. I looked at what was out there, how it was made and tested, and decided to go with Amsoil. I have it in my stroker SBF, and in the Expedition. My wife's car is under 8K miles, and we're still letting the dealer do the changes there. They're all roller tappet, but I was most impressed by Amsoil so I decided to go with it.

I'm about 10 miles from Milan Dragway. No naturally, I set up the old Fox body for road racing and have to go 60 miles to Waterford Hills!

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Greg, what year ranges would you say Chevy engines were flat tappet lifters?

Im asking for my 1970 2.5L mercruiser in my boat.

Thanks

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That mercruiser 2.5 is the old style........I grew up on the water buddy and for the life of me, never understood why no one could build a solid outdrive....yours is pre-alpha so no nylon parts in yours,

jeff

Greg Coleman

Reaction score
Greg, what year ranges would you say Chevy engines were flat tappet lifters?

Im asking for my 1970 2.5L mercruiser in my boat.

Thanks
I would most certainly run one of the "specialty" oils I mentioned above. All of them offer an oil made for older engines. Unless someone put a TON of time and money into it, that little Chevy is flat tappet all the way. I'm pretty sure they didn't start with roller tappets until the mid-to-late 80's. 5.0 Ford went roller in '85.
I'm not going to be "that" guy who swears by his favorite brand and tells everyone else they should use it because he does. Do your own research. Make your own decision.