2018 42K Miles 3rd set of Phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
Does anyone have a short video or sound clip of this phaser noise/rattle. Does it occur on 2010 3 valve 5.4L ?

The video link provided by Carl does have V8 phaser sounds.

Thanks Carl!

5W30 next time (Now I need to dig into whether to use full synthetic. I'm sure I'll find plenty to read on that, love these forums! Heading back to the 3rd Gen section now...).

kjf1

Reaction score
Try unplugging the oil VDOP sensor switch on the front engine cover near crankshaft damper to see if VCT noise gets less or goes away.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's any more than an annoyance. Certain engines have always had different sounds that were normal but bothered people that didn't know better. Like full floating wrist pins and solid lifters. Mine makes a little racket when started but quickly goes away.

jwas1

Reaction score
So I am on my third set of phasers. I've had my car back from the dealer for 3 weeks and I'm getting the cold start rattle again?

Am I the only one?
My previous Expedition Trton V8 had clicking due to phasers. Dealer suggested using Ford synthetic oil. Clicking disappeared and did not recur for the additional five years i owned the vehicle. Now have a 2018 with 42,000 miles. No phaser issues so far.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
Here is a quick clip of start up.

do you think this has an issue or sounds normal?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have talked to a Ford technician about the phasers and he said it’s the exact same problem between the 3-valve Triton V8 engines and the DOHC engines like the EcoBoost. They only differ in what causes the problem to occur. For both it is wear or breakage of the locking pin in the sprocket mechanism. On the 5.4 the primary cause is low oil pressure to the phaser (which is caused by chain tensioner gasket blowouts). I opened up my 5.4 3V and did the timing chain tensioners, guides, and put in a brand new Ford 3V oil pump this April during quarantine. I had the startup rattle but no phaser knocking yet, and I didn’t want to play with fire later on. On the 5.4 this wear on the pin is a warning to address because this low pressure will slowly lead to further damage in the heads. You want to get your stock level oil pressure back. I don’t know how the EcoBoost is setup but I believe the phasers are NOT oil pressure driven like the 5.4 so the damage is occurring for some other reason. Hopefully not as crucial. Here was my startup rattle, this little gasket bleeds off pressure and relaxes the chains. And the new “heart”. I like the analogy of a heart for the oil pump, since it pumps the oil and keeps your engine alive lol.
720DDE24-4886-45D7-B8FD-35346809AA73.jpeg
D5DCEF0F-FB04-40AA-8ED8-60CEAD058E96.jpeg

Last edited:

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
We had the warranty work done on our '18 about 10k miles ago. It's been fine so far (knock on wood). Currently at 47k miles.

mhExped

Reaction score
Just adding a "me too" to the cam phaser issue. I was lucky enough to capture it in cell phone audio so I could play for the local service tech's. Parts on (back)order, will take it back in when they arrive. Crossing my fingers this is a one-and-done issue for me, as opposed to the OP's experience. :-/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire