2018 42K Miles 3rd set of Phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
Just adding a "me too" to the cam phaser issue. I was lucky enough to capture it in cell phone audio so I could play for the local service tech's. Parts on (back)order, will take it back in when they arrive. Crossing my fingers this is a one-and-done issue for me, as opposed to the OP's experience. :-/

I posted a video above, check it out. Mine does not seem like it is doing it anymore.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
seems pretty clear i'm looking at phasers as well as the standard wastegate noise @37k for me.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See, and I know for almost a fact I have the wastegate issues on both turbos but Ford told the dealer not to replace the turbos, that they need to start with the Phasers first. Seems ridiculous, and far more invasive. My noises are 24/7, not something that is only cold start related. Really dumb, and they showed me the response from Ford...

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See, and I know for almost a fact I have the wastegate issues on both turbos but Ford told the dealer not to replace the turbos, that they need to start with the Phasers first. Seems ridiculous, and far more invasive. My noises are 24/7, not something that is only cold start related. Really dumb, and they showed me the response from Ford...
Same here. Mine is in the shop now and they want to wait and see if the cam phasers fixes the issue. I kindly advised him that the cam phasers and wastegate are two different components.

Haakon

Reaction score
I just had my cam phasers replaced last week (~35k miles). After driving a few hundred miles on Saturday, I woke up to an oil leak on Sunday morning! The truck is back at the dealer right now, but I'm afraid of what may have happened. Has anyone had similar issues with this repair?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh man, mine is getting done in a couple weeks and now i'm even more worried!

pgonza2723

Reaction score
Had mine done at 52k miles and at 72k miles currently and it hasn't come back. I def. have the wastegate rattle on start up and it's also developed a "bell" like ring as well on cold start up. For sure embarrassing on a truck like this. I do my own oil changes using Castrol Magnetec 5w-30 based on a ton of oil analysis from members of the BITOG forum.

Haakon

Reaction score
Update on my oil leak following cam phaser replacement. Dealer "verified oil leak concern". I love that line on the service report. No kidding, want to see the puddle in my garage?

They found that the oil pump electrical connector seal was the source of the leak. Apparently when they performed the cam phaser service, they did not seat the seal correctly. So, they installed a new seal, reinstalled the sensor, and added oil to fill to full level.

In the end, not a huge crisis, but definitely an inconvenience. And here's hoping its the last of it. Hopefully this info helps anyone else who may require this fix and risk this issue.