2018 Engine Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jreidg3

Reaction score
I got the call from the dealer. They are replacing my engine (on backorder currently). 2018 with 44K miles on it. I took it in three times for an engine ticking/rattle when holding gears in sport or tow mode. Last year they replaced the cam tensioners and some other stuff for rattle on start up. That didn't solve the rattle when holding gears. I finally drove around with a tech who thought it was the "IWE". It was not. Now they are replacing the engine. This is on top of having the power mirror replaced, the drivers power running board replaced, the rear tailgate button &motors replaced, and the drivers side door lock replaced as it fell off inside the door. Did I get a lemon or what? I really love this truck when its working, but yeesh, i spend allot of time at the dealer for a 2yo vehicle.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the call from the dealer. They are replacing my engine (on backorder currently). 2018 with 44K miles on it. I took it in three times for an engine ticking/rattle when holding gears in sport or tow mode. Last year they replaced the cam tensioners and some other stuff for rattle on start up. That didn't solve the rattle when holding gears. I finally drove around with a tech who thought it was the "IWE". It was not. Now they are replacing the engine. This is on top of having the power mirror replaced, the drivers power running board replaced, the rear tailgate button &motors replaced, and the drivers side door lock replaced as it fell off inside the door. Did I get a lemon or what? I really love this truck when its working, but yeesh, i spend allot of time at the dealer for a 2yo vehicle.

On the bright side, you almost have a whole new vehicle at this point! Like your own Ship of Theseus!!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it's quality control and inconsistent parts/assembly. Ford has a ton of these vehicles on the road, and they seem to be hit or miss in reliability. My blower motor is burning up its connector and my driver side seat control housing has seperated from the seat. None of my Hondas had these types of issues, just routine maintenance till 150k and no issues with interior trim. I wouldn't want to own one of these vehicles without an extended warranty. If Toyota ever released an extended wheelbase Sequoia with a modern power train, I would jump ship.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Threads like this make me feel better about looking at the new Defender...

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score

Time to Lemon law that thing!

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Threads like this make me feel better about looking at the new Defender...

I keep making fun of a buddy who has one on order... Tata has been wanting out, brexit on top of covid... Of course you want a British, first production year, new from the ground up vehicle... What could possibly go wrong? Our local dealer is also terrible...

My only experience with modern rovers is my Dad has a Sport Diesel and the DEF sensor has never been right. The extra fun part about that is it will sporadically give him 150 miles to get to a dealership. It has happened twice on road trips... No bueno. The 30mpg is nice though...

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the plus side, you're adding a brand new engine to your truck at roughly 50k miles, and not a penny out of your pocket. Consider yourself lucky. Most other brands won't replace an engine until it's literally in pieces.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I keep making fun of a buddy who has one on order... Tata has been wanting out, brexit on top of covid... Of course you want a British, first production year, new from the ground up vehicle... What could possibly go wrong? Our local dealer is also terrible...

My only experience with modern rovers is my Dad has a Sport Diesel and the DEF sensor has never been right. The extra fun part about that is it will sporadically give him 150 miles to get to a dealership. It has happened twice on road trips... No bueno. The 30mpg is nice though...
We would wait a couple years for sure. I just need something more off road worthy to be a dedicated rig for my UEV490 and still have a nice ride. Getting this Navigator really spoiled us on refinement and comfort.

Last edited: