2018 Engine Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Threads like this make me feel better about looking at the new Defender...

Stopped and looked at a new 110 the other day. They are tiny in person! I'd rather spring the same money for an old school NAS Defender 90 that wont lose its value like these new ones will.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stopped and looked at a new 110 the other day. They are tiny in person! I'd rather spring the same money for an old school NAS Defender 90 that wont lose its value like these new ones will.
I wanna see one in person as well. The 110 looks similar in size to the Explorer... idk what the 130 will be. Old school 90 would be bad ass and all but idk if it would fully meet our needs. The space we have in the Navigator is nice, I’ve never had a vehicle this big and downsizing permanently would be out of the question for a while.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JD Power released this year's Initial Quality report today. Ford and Lincoln both did worse than the industry average (with Ford beating Lincoln). Chevy did well, GMC did less well, and Caddy just squeaked by above average.

Land Rover did....poorly.

View attachment 36739fbp7fslbyoxwtp5hpjxj.png

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JD Power released this year's Initial Quality report today. Ford and Lincoln both did worse than the industry average (with Ford beating Lincoln). Chevy did well, GMC did less well, and Caddy just squeaked by above average.

Surprised to see Dodge and ran at the top. So this is problems per 100 vehicles.. so pretty much all vehicles have problems according to this or am I misunderstanding?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surprised to see Dodge and ran at the top. So this is problems per 100 vehicles.. so pretty much all vehicles have problems according to this or am I misunderstanding?

Problems reported by owners in the first 90 days, yes.

I have read some speculation that it skews the data because someone laying money out for a Tesla or a Rover (for instance) are going to be much more likely to go over the vehicle checking for defects and problems whereas a Dodge buyer is less likely to do so. (The Dodge buyer is still just excited he got approved for financing. BOOM, got you good Dodge drivers. I’m kidding, it’s a joke.)

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I would rather see a report on long term quality. Initial quality surveys are done before the new car honeymoon is over. Many at the top of the initial quality list turn to crap after 100k miles. Not defending Ford, but I don’t see the value of Initial Quality survey results and I certainly don’t trust JD Power.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All surveys are just a pulse on what happens. But data is data. Based on my experience owning cars, mostly Dodge, Jeep, Ford, and my family owning Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, nissan, mazda, subaru, ford, dodge, chevy. What I have seen is that all the manufacturers have some sort of issues that crop up from time to time. The chevy/GM vehicles my family has owned seemed to have a LOT of electrical issues, I have spent so much time tracking down stupid electrical things it honestly makes me hate GM products. My jeeps have had issues (replaced an engine in my wrangler at 60k) plus some issues with exhaust manifold leaks on a hemi. The family has owned a lot of Fords and most were actually pretty darn reliable and didn't have issues show up until later in life (after 100k) and I would consider most to be "wear out issues". I had a 98 dodge ram that was a freaking tank and I shouldn't have sold it, other than crappy paint that started to flake off after 10 years it didn't have any issues that weren't normal wear items, interior wasn't much to look at though.

Basically, what I see is that everything has issues no matter what you paid for it. I think everyone wants vehicles that are perfect forever, that doesn't exist. A guy at work has an f150 that just rolled 300k miles and has never been in the shop for anything but brakes, fluid changes, shocks, tires. One of our sales guys has a BMW and it is in the shop all the time for all kinds of stupid little things.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problems reported by owners in the first 90 days, yes.

I have read some speculation that it skews the data because someone laying money out for a Tesla or a Rover (for instance) are going to be much more likely to go over the vehicle checking for defects and problems whereas a Dodge buyer is less likely to do so. (The Dodge buyer is still just excited he got approved for financing. BOOM, got you good Dodge drivers. I’m kidding, it’s a joke.)
I think this point is quite salient as I’ve seen this play out on this forum often...posts that start something like ‘have you experienced. . .’ or ones similar where the majority of the responses are ‘that’s a warranty issue, just take it in’ are still met with ‘but I’d rather fix it than deal with the dealer‘. Idk, I’ll have mine picked up for anything if I think it’s warranty; however, perhaps I’d rather fix it myself if I didn’t have the valet service.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this point is quite salient as I’ve seen this play out on this forum often...posts that start something like ‘have you experienced. . .’ or ones similar where the majority of the responses are ‘that’s a warranty issue, just take it in’ are still met with ‘but I’d rather fix it than deal with the dealer‘. Idk, I’ll have mine picked up for anything if I think it’s warranty; however, perhaps I’d rather fix it myself if I didn’t have the valet service.

Absolutely. I think two things are in play, both of which you touched on:

1) Someone who spends $80k+ on a vehicle is going to be a whole lot more sensitive if a stitch is pulled or a trim piece is misaligned.

2) Someone who spends $80k+ on a vehicle is also much less likely to take a door off to try to realign it (even though folks on here have done so).

I think the Expi in particular is in a weird place because you can get one for (what I consider) pretty cheap for such a vehicle, but you can also spend $85k if you want to. And the stats for that whole price range are dumped into the same bucket for surveys like this. Plus, a lot of folks are used to being able to "tinker" with their previous gen Expis and that desire is pulling through to the 4th gen. No one is tinkering with their Tesla. Haha

Last edited: