2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to throw this question out there to all the folks having these internal engine issues....what is the oil change interval, what filters are used and oil type? Is the engine brought up to operating temperature before driven? Is the engine allowed to idle for a few minutes to cool down and let the twin turbos spool down before shutting off the engine? I think I can guess some of the answers...

This has had 6 oil changes with the 6 cam phaser replacements, so in 20,000 miles I think thats plenty In itself! lmao.

Lately its been getting an oil change every tank of fuel because thats how long these new cam phasers are lasting.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has had 6 oil changes with the 6 cam phaser replacements, so in 20,000 miles I think thats plenty In itself! lmao.

Lately its been getting an oil change every tank of fuel because thats how long these new cam phasers are lasting.

ouch.

mic drop.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just made an appointment with my dealer for cold start rattle at 32,000 miles on my 2018... Not looking forward to this. Can anyone confirm if the cam phaser parts have been redesigned to address a known flaw, or are the same faulty parts being installed as replacements?

cfldad

Reaction score
I believe more than one person has had recurring issues. Kind of implies the real issue doesn’t always get resolved.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dunno about the parts being better yet - and god knows if they are having trouble sourcing the “improved” parts & reverting to the old “available” ones just to get it done (for now.)

lean hard on them & insist on water pump replacement if at all possible - they can “find a slight drip” a lot easier if you are constantly nagging about it.

also make sure to eyeball the fuel downspout post op, to see that it’s actually there, because it’s evidently simple for that to catch on the body when dropping it into final position post-op. i learned that the hard way at fill up when the NJ gas attendant didn’t notice he was actually dumping a few gallons of premium on my left rear wheel right before picking up my kid at school. i will say it could have been worse - glad he wasn’t smoking!

oh and check your front bumpers too, my left side panel along the wheel well is awkwardly bumped out from “something” not lining up right from the body drop as well.

fun times. at least i’ve only had to do it once so far.

John I

Reaction score
dunno about the parts being better yet - and god knows if they are having trouble sourcing the “improved” parts & reverting to the old “available” ones just to get it done (for now.)

lean hard on them & insist on water pump replacement if at all possible - they can “find a slight drip” a lot easier if you are constantly nagging about it.

also make sure to eyeball the fuel downspout post op, to see that it’s actually there, because it’s evidently simple for that to catch on the body when dropping it into final position post-op. i learned that the hard way at fill up when the NJ gas attendant didn’t notice he was actually dumping a few gallons of premium on my left rear wheel right before picking up my kid at school. i will say it could have been worse - glad he wasn’t smoking!

oh and check your front bumpers too, my left side panel along the wheel well is awkwardly bumped out from “something” not lining up right from the body drop as well.

fun times. at least i’ve only had to do it once so far.

Man, I am really NOT looking forward to the dealer tackling this job next week on my 2019 w/ 15K miles.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, I am really NOT looking forward to the dealer tackling this job next week on my 2019 w/ 15K miles.
I wasn't either at 14k miles. Mine took all of 5 days just for this service, they didn't separate the body/frame in mine though, but I know many shops do resort to that. But based on what my techs said, it's better to take extra time to ensure everything is clean and all of the gaskets and sealants set properly.

I know Deadmans have been warranty, but 6 times, I'd be done after 2 maybe 3. And I know Deadman loves his ford/lincolns, but I don't think I'd buy another unless I know everything is new/different.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't either at 14k miles. Mine took all of 5 days just for this service, they didn't separate the body/frame in mine though, but I know many shops do resort to that. But based on what my techs said, it's better to take extra time to ensure everything is clean and all of the gaskets and sealants set properly.

I know Deadmans have been warranty, but 6 times, I'd be done after 2 maybe 3. And I know Deadman loves his ford/lincolns, but I don't think I'd buy another unless I know everything is new/different.

They don't separate body-frame. My dealer said even to swap this engine it goes out the front. They said if you pull the body you just make more problems.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
man i wish i had your dealer

all 8 of my local ones said they would do body off. so i rolled the dice with the most promising one. meh

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
man i wish i had your dealer

all 8 of my local ones said they would do body off. so i rolled the dice with the most promising one. meh

They did say the front clip stuff comes off so they can go out the front, so the front is disassembled to some extent as well..... Hopefully yours is good!