2019 Exp Max vs Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sanddanw

Reaction score
I am going to purchase an Expedition Max 4x4 and have only owned (3) Suburbans that have all ran to over 200,000 miles. Can I expect that out of an Expedition, I read lots of issues with the 2018 but wondering if the 2019 is better?

OP
OP
S

sanddanw

Reaction score
More or less sell me on the Expedition as I know what to expect on the Suburbans and GMC Yukon XL as I know they all have their quirks.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More or less sell me on the Expedition as I know what to expect on the Suburbans and GMC Yukon XL as I know they all have their quirks.

Why switch? If you have 3 and like them, why do you want to be sold on the expedition? Ford has some great marketing materials that highlight why an expedition is great!

Also, better in what way? which is more likely to hit 200k miles? both have the same mechanicals, so both are equally likely. The 2018's do have more first year growing pains though.

StephenPT

Reaction score
Somewhere in early 2019 they switched away from the plastic oil pan and drain plug and went to a cast aluminum oil pan with threaded drain plug. I'm not sure of any other changes from 2018 to 2019 as far as the design. I'm sure there were manufacturing quirks on the assembly line that got worked as as they continued to build them.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There isn't any appreciable difference in reliability between 2018 and 2019 models. I'll be very surprised if we see a lot of them break 200k without at least 1 major repair, but it's far too early to know that for sure.

OP
OP
S

sanddanw

Reaction score
Good intel, the selling points for me on the Expedition or the increased leg room for kids in the back seats, easier to access third row for kids, better fuel mileage. The suburbans have issues with VVT motor issues that burn oil and eventually fail as my 2009 is currently limping along with 230,000 miles but all original minus shocks, breaks, etc still working well. Sounds like Ill stick to the Suburbans as I can get a 2017 or 2018 that will run to 200,000 plus as I have done it with 2 without major issues.

OP
OP
S

sanddanw

Reaction score
Someone on here had to have been a Suburban guy that was converted and I am looking for their reasons. Looks like I will try to find a 2019 Expedition if I do go that route, Im nervous of the transmission issues at low mileage.

sliderz71

Reaction score
I have a 2014 LTZ Suburban with 130k on it, and I'm making the switch to the 2022 Expedition Max Stealth Performance. I've had a 2018 regular length Expy as a rental...nice loaded Limited and it was great. I've had several GM products ('99 Silverado, '11 Buick Enclave, grew up with alot of Chevy company cars in the family.) For me, changing from the 2014 into anything newer GM-wise was a waste until they matched Ford and did the IRS in the rear...the 15-20 Suburban was just as cramped in the 3rd row as mine, with less visibility out the sides and way too much overbolstering in the console and dash to add any appreciable sense of space. I like the 5.3 in the GM, but its no rocket...and they start leaking oil and such at 120k and up. I'm tired of the GM cheapness on the doorpulls breaking, the beancounters who couldn't give you even 4 auto- up auto-down windows in a $67k truck, the hvac buttons that wear off, the douche who designed headlight bulbs that require you taking apart the inner fender and pulling the headlight out of a full size truck to change the bulbs, etc. So, I'm rolling the dice with the Ford. I've had Explorers and a Mustang currently...and generally once you hit the mid model refresh, they have turned out pretty good for me. Yes, I'm aware of the cam phasers, the unsettled ride, the leaky moonroofs, etc...but I'm hoping they have that solved now, and with newer leadership that is actually a car guy (and not the furniture dude looking to cut corners every time) that the Expy will be a solid and reliable choice for our family of 5. I did drive a 2021 Tahoe Z71 and the ride is very good...and GM has finally matched Ford with a moonroof appropriate for this class of vehicle. But between the lifter issues and other first release issues, I would stay away from the GM until at least the mid cycle refresh.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good intel, the selling points for me on the Expedition or the increased leg room for kids in the back seats, easier to access third row for kids, better fuel mileage. The suburbans have issues with VVT motor issues that burn oil and eventually fail as my 2009 is currently limping along with 230,000 miles but all original minus shocks, breaks, etc still working well. Sounds like Ill stick to the Suburbans as I can get a 2017 or 2018 that will run to 200,000 plus as I have done it with 2 without major issues.

3rd gen Expeditions are similar in that regard. The 4th gens are just too new to have a lot of data on longterm reliability, but some of the reported problems give me serious doubts that we're going to see a lot of 200k without some major repair before then.

Someone on here had to have been a Suburban guy that was converted and I am looking for their reasons. Looks like I will try to find a 2019 Expedition if I do go that route, Im nervous of the transmission issues at low mileage.

I have always hated the buoyant ride and sloppy steering on the Tahoes/Suburbans, so that's why I never went down that road. The Caprice vs Crown Vic was the same (I owned both). Truth be told, I'd be in a Toyota if reliability was my only concern. I just like the way Fords SUVs steer and handle. As much as I want my vehicle to last as long as possible, I don't want to hate driving it every day.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
All my life, I've bought cars, serviced them and kept them to the end, which was usually over 260,000 miles. After their aging about 15 years, I had some miserable repairs on my hands. At this stage of my life, based on the path I've seen in the industry, I'll probably be replacing cars sooner, perhaps looking at the 150,000 mark. With that goal, I think any full-priced American truck will serve you well.