2019 Exp Max vs Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other thing that have to give Ford credit on is in case you do run into the bad luck and need a 10 speed transmission, the price is a tad over $3000 and that’s new from a dealer (check the online parts catalogue). A 3.5 Ecoboost is $3500. Not saying it’s good to have to replace these but some cars and trucks are near $10k for a trans and $20k plus for engines. Now on the other hand, the maintenance schedule on Expeditions is way to drawn out and cutting all the recommendations in half or following the severe duty service schedule is more realistic if you want it to last.
Are you sure it’s only $3k for a new transmission? Seems low, but if that’s the case, that’s a good deal (plus installation, of course).

Maintenance costs can’t be ignored - even under warranty - so reasonably priced parts is a bonus. As you said, things break, even in the most reliable of vehicles.

I’m thinking of a BMW, and one of the things I’m looking at is maintenance and parts. Not for the faint of heart, that.

JOE LIPSKY

Reaction score
Actually the switch over from the plastic oil pan and drain pan happened late in 2018 (very glad my 2018 has them). Don't know why Ford ever thought a plastic assembly was a good idea even if it would lighten the vehicle by a pound or so in their desire to improve mpg rating.

Reaction score
I’m similar to you—-I have a 2003 Tahoe with 280,000 and bought a 2018 expedition max 4x4 because I have 4 teenage boys and suburban didn’t have much room in 3rd row- imho it was a mistake getting the Ford.It only has 28k miles and been to Ford dealer 2x already, 1)left rear strut leak 2)right wheel sensor malfunction in the middle of Kansas (not fun AT ALL)—-and fixing to go in again with cam phaser recall. We love the comfort/design but will not buy a Ford again. But who knows maybe I just got a bad lemon…..just my 2 cents. FYI the Toyota Sequoia 3rd row seats are surprisingly spacious- just not as much cargo space (my neighbor has one)

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s only $3k for a new transmission? Seems low, but if that’s the case, that’s a good deal (plus installation, of course).

Maintenance costs can’t be ignored - even under warranty - so reasonably priced parts is a bonus. As you said, things break, even in the most reliable of vehicles.

I’m thinking of a BMW, and one of the things I’m looking at is maintenance and parts. Not for the faint of heart, that.
Yep, for sure $3k. Check out Ford’s official online site at www.Parts.Ford.com and enter your vehicle make and model and then search for transmission. It will give you the online price straight from Ford. I buy lots of parts through this site and you can pay online and have them shipped to any dealer to save shipping or they’ll ship them to you. This is fords actual official website for parts and helped me a lot before I purchased an Expedition so I knew what they was getting into. I’ve bought a ton of stuff through here and it’s 100% legitimate.

Emilner

Reaction score
I can't comment on Burb to Expy but I went from a 2017 ESV to a 2019 Nav L so I can comment on drivetrain differences since they are very similar for both sibling lines. While there was several reasons for me to consider switching, one primary one was the drivetrain. I have had 5 Escalades, a Denali and probably a dozen or so other GM V8s. They were good back in the day but they are massively outclassed now everywhere except in the Vet/Camaro. The 6.2 is a lumpy grumpy engine. It refuses to be associated with anything refined and when you ask it to go it screams back at you like at any second this will be its last day. I can't honestly believe GM still puts it in their new $110k trucks. The eco boost on the other hand is smooth, refined and has MUCH better power delivery and gets easily 20-30% better gas mileage.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Newer 2015+ Suburban are hardly guaranteed to run to 200k without issues. They’ve had major issues with torque converters failing on the 8 speed automatics, cam/lifter issues on the 6.2 and 5.3 due to the AFM system (improved over the 07-14 Gen but it’s still an issue), and strange harmonic/vibration issues too. We thought we had dodged the bullet when we bought our (previous generation) 2014 Escalade and we’re still bummed out when the torque converter went at 70,000 miles. That was the final straw that convinced us to upgrade to a 2018 expedition platinum max this summer. From 30-72k miles, that Escalade required a ton of repairs. Our GM extended warranty paid out over $6k in repairs:). Funny thing is our friends who had a 15 Denali XL had every major catastrophic repair possible on theirs (torque converter, body control module, lifters and cams, AC compressor failure), all pocket out of pocket (ouch!) and they still went and bought a new ‘21 Denali this summer LOL. That 14 Escalade was my 3rd lousy GM full-size truck, and will be my last.
That’s exactly all the GM problems that scared me from getting a 2015 - 2020 GM vehicle. I like the way they look inside and out except the third row but the earlier ones were much better (2010 and down). Now if Ford designs an updated camshaft Phaser that lasts and improved plastic oil pan like they did for the 2.7 Ecoboost engines we all would have rock solid trucks.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have to imagine that most BMW owners go in knowing they're not buying a reliable vehicle and, moreover, that parts/repairs are going to be comparably expensive. No one is buying an Audi for reliability either; they're buying it because it's an Audi.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to imagine that most BMW owners go in knowing they're not buying a reliable vehicle and, moreover, that parts/repairs are going to be comparably expensive. No one is buying an Audi for reliability either; they're buying it because it's an Audi.

If you buy a BMW that’s properly maintained and repaired they will for sure last a very long time. I’ve had plenty well over 200k miles original engine and trans and the next person is still driving it. Key is they need to be maintained and for sure they last.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flipped from a 2016 Yukon XL to a 2018 Expedition Max mostly because I needed the extra 900 lbs of towing capacity. Each one has it's plusses and minuses. The third row in the Expy is just miles better than the GMC. The GMC felt more planted to the road while towing. The Expy definitely had more options for the money, but the GMC had a much larger fuel tank and the quality control was better in my opinion.

Both powerplants have their issues, though, and I frankly don't trust either one to go 100k without an issue. My Expy has been back to the dealer for stupid quality issues more than any vehicle I have ever owned.

Roll the dice and pick the one you like the best.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you buy a BMW that’s properly maintained and repaired they will for sure last a very long time. I’ve had plenty well over 200k miles original engine and trans and the next person is still driving it. Key is they need to be maintained and for sure they last.

If they were that reliable, you probably wouldn't have owned "plenty" since you're driving all of these vehicles 200k+. :)

The BMW Reliability Rating is 2.5 out of 5.0, which ranks it 30th out of 32 for all car brands. This rating is based on an average across 345 unique models.

BMW is one such brand, known for its performance and luxury models, that routinely finds its cars on the lists for least reliable and most expensive.