2019 Expedition Max cargo space story...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lscrx

Reaction score
Last week we ordered a new wooden bunk bed for our boys to replace their squeaky metal framed one. The store said it would be quicker if we pick it up from them, and I asked how large the boxes are so I know what vehicle to bring. He said I would need a trailer :-/

I have access to a utility trailer that I can borrow anytime, but if it would fit in the back of my Expedition that would be easiest, and if not there I also have an older F150 I can dust off and use. The salesman was adamant that it would only fit on a trailer, but it might fit in the bed of a truck. The truck isn't ideal because I'm usually hauling my daughter around in her car seat (at least) and it's a hassle to switch it over to the vinyl bench seat of the truck.

They called yesterday to say it was ready for pickup (ahead of schedule!) so I asked them to measure the boxes so I would know for sure (not my salesman). They said the boxes were still being unloaded from the semi, but that I could always bring the Expedition and see if they'd fit, worst case I go grab the trailer which wouldn't be a big deal. I was really hoping they'd fit in the Expedition because it had been raining all morning so my pickup bed would be full of water, and the utility trailer would be wet as well.

I backed up to the loading dock and they had three boxes for me. Two of them were about 6'x12"x12" and one that was about 4'x3'x8".

:-/

I had the 3rd row collapsed, and two of the 2nd row seats down (still had a car seat in the drivers side 2nd row seat). I could have EASILY picked up two bunk beds without removing the car seat. There is over 8' of space (lengthwise)... I was both happy that it all fit and annoyed that they almost had me go hookup a trailer and drive out there to pick up three boxes.

Moral of the story: Don't trust people about what will fit in an Expedition Max! They are cavernous and can hold a lot more than people think!!!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now just imagine what you could fit in an Expedition EL with the 10 extra cubic feet of cargo space ;) #SizeWars

lam396

Reaction score
My wife bought a display Christmas tree. They laughed when she asked them not to box it and it directly in the back. They finally humored her and it fit! The sales kid was pretty impressed and she said a lady in the parking lot stopped to watch and was equally impressed!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now just imagine what you could fit in an Expedition EL with the 10 extra cubic feet of cargo space ;) #SizeWars

I thought the MAX is the same as the old EL. Are they different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didnt have a max, but I got a story like yours. My wife didn't want the max like I did, so we settled for std. She loves to buy ppls "leftovers" and fix em to her preferences. Needless to say, our expy got a workout. One time, we went to pick up a outdoor table, but we had to make two trips, one for the table, one for the chairs. This was mainly due to the fact that the design of the table and swivel chairs prevented good stacking and the legs were tapping my windows. However, we moved 4 entertainment systems, multiple 7ft cabinets, used it to renovate our home, carried power tools, Carried 6+ adults and their luggage in relative comfort, etc.

One day, she decided "I want a dining room table". Good news, she found someone practically giving it away. Bad news, it was 9 ft(with detachable piece), came with 10 chairs, and a buffet. To add to the bad news, the seller lived 30 min away. So we went out there. Lady looked at the truck and was like, thats alotta room, but you'll need to make another trip....
Needless to say, we didnt. A bit uncomfortable driving home, but we got it home. Lady even said she may have to look Into an expy.

The only time we rele needed a max version, wifey found a 2 piece sectional, 7 and 8 ft pieces. We tried to get both in at the same time, and drive with the liftgate up, but they were too big together, so had to get a pickup for the other piece. However it would've worked if we had the max(both pieces). I know journalists try to say these bigs suvs are near obseletion due to newer crossovers or minivans, but dammit, they dont haul these things like suvs while looking as good riding down the road.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked the max because it had more room than my short bed F-150. We rarely use the third row. With it down it’s almost as big as the truck bed. Fold the second row and you can get a piece of plywood in there. Not that I would. But I have not missed using the truck one bit for normal activities. Boating, SxS’n and road trips. It’s been amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We went with the Max because we have become regular transporters of three pre-school age grandchildren. I gave up my expectation of another crew cab pickup because, like most children, they behave better when spread out, requiring two car seats in the third row and one in the second. Then, with child seats permanently strapped in the third row, we thought a standard length model may have been tight on cargo room. We don't regret our decision one bit.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never looked to haul less, so I went max on my Expedition and Navigator.