2021 Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dworth

Reaction score
Hey Y’all

New to the forum and looking to pick up a 2021 Expo but wanted to confirm tow rating with the group here. Most of them around my area do not have max tow. If I am reading the Ford chart correctly, non max tow is only rated for 6k lbs. That seems really weak considering competitors. I think max tow gets me to 9k is which where I want to be since I will be hauling around 6,500k on occasion. Am I missing anything? It also seems like the major difference between the FX4 package compared to max tow is the upgraded real axle and the fancy trailer knob and brake controller. I guess that upgraded rear axle on max tow gives it the rating.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Y’all

New to the forum and looking to pick up a 2021 Expo but wanted to confirm tow rating with the group here. Most of them around my area do not have max tow. If I am reading the Ford chart correctly, non max tow is only rated for 6k lbs. That seems really weak considering competitors. I think max tow gets me to 9k is which where I want to be since I will be hauling around 6,500k on occasion. Am I missing anything? It also seems like the major difference between the FX4 package compared to max tow is the upgraded real axle and the fancy trailer knob and brake controller. I guess that upgraded rear axle on max tow gives it the rating.
Rear axle is def the most important for higher weights. Would also recommend going MAX for wheelbase and larger tank.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are going to be towing a heavy trailer then the max tow is a must. There is much more than just the integrated brake controller and trailer steering knob.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Improved radiator/cooling/rear axle ratios/etc. just search for what you want. Do everything over the phone, ride in and sign. It’s what I’ve done the last 3 vehicles and couldn’t have been happier. I give my local dealer a chance to find exactly what I want for what I want to pay, if not, I get on the Ford website, click on my options and locate.

OP
OP
D

Dworth

Reaction score
All good points. I guess I will just have to wait or order one (if even possible with chip shortages). Just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly because 6k sounds light and around my area 85% do not have max tow. Great point on the MAX too for the larger fuel tank.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At this point you should wait for a 2022 and see if it goes Gen5. I don’t think I would want anything built during the COVID hangover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dworth

Reaction score
At this point you should wait for a 2022 and see if it goes Gen5. I don’t think I would want anything built during the COVID hangover.

Thought about that as well, Fozzy. Just worried about what the front end will look like. Not crazy about the 21 F150’s but may get an interior refresh which is awesome. Heck they may increase the tow capacity with them as well. Last I checked, I think they came out in September / October.