2023 Electronic limited slip axle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 3L axle. Non option elsd, XLT with tow package, 302a.
According to Ford the 2023 Expedition models will either have the 2L with no ELS feature or the 2E model with ELS feature. So, if you have the 3L, then either the sticker is wrong, and if you climb under the vehicle to identify he markings on the pumpkin it will show what you actually have, or you do have the 3L which Ford claims there is only 1 model with ELS. My Platinum has the HD tow package with the 3.73 ELSD feature. However, I have no lock button.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That has been covered. No, I don’t have that. The mystery is why my door label says 3L. It is the same code as a friends 2023 Timberline that I know has ELSD.
The pumpkin should have more information stamped on it. Out of curiosity I've searched for the difference between the 3L and the 2E units with no luck so far.
The only thing I found is 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 towing guides all show 2L (3.73 with no ELSD) and 3L (3.73 with ELSD). The 2023 brochure shows 2L (3.73 with no ELSD) and 2E (3.73 with ELSD). I also read from Ford that later model Expeditions with heavy duty tow package and 3L 3.73 axle have the automatic ELSD option. The button is an added feature usually found on 4wd Expeditions for manually locking the differential in harsh conditions. It will automatically disengage after a certain speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pumpkin should have more information stamped on it. Out of curiosity I've searched for the difference between the 3L and the 2E units with no luck so far.
I’ve been meaning to crawl back under it and look at the stamping. Will try to remember to do that soon.

Last edited:

Stsysar

Reaction score
I tried searching as well with no luck.

sldwys

Reaction score
I looked on the pumpkin at the stamping. Not sure what I should be looking for?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stop looking at the stamping...again, just a code. What matters is the Solenoid and wiring. If you don't have it, you don't have the ELSD. Again, simple look.

OP
OP
J

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stop looking at the stamping...again, just a code. What matters is the Solenoid and wiring. If you don't have it, you don't have the ELSD. Again, simple look.
Yes, we get that. But we really don’t know for sure what it really is. That is where the stamping on the pumpkin would confirm. We are all, myself included, pretty sure it is a 3.73 non locking differential. But no harm trying to confirm. Like I said in an earlier post, right now I’m just continuing my search for absolute confirmation just for fun.

Please stop telling us not to look at the stamping. I’ll look at it if I damn well please . I’m quite sure that is more reliable than the sticker that shows a code that does not exist in Fords tow guide except on an F250.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, we get that. But we really don’t know for sure what it really is. That is where the stamping on the pumpkin would confirm. We are all, myself included, pretty sure it is a 3.73 non locking differential. But no harm trying to confirm. Like I said in an earlier post, right now I’m just continuing my search for absolute confirmation just for fun.

ooopps delete

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett