2023 Electronic limited slip axle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But the question is, what is their screw up. Does it actually have a LSD that it should not have, or is the 3Lon my door sticker wrong.

Best case is that it has a traditional non-electronic LSD, worst case is that I got exactly what I thought I had. I feel quite certain it is not the electronic locker, but maybe an outside chance it is the old fashion LSD that shows on the F250. Realistically I think I’m dreaming!
If your sticker shows 3L, then you more than likely have the super duty 3L LSD, and my hypothesis may be correct, which is Ford started with 3L axles and changed mid-year to the 2E. I just found in my 2019 tow brochure that the 3L is an Electronic Limited Slip Differential, (3L(1)(1) Electronic Limited Slip axle.).
My question is what is the difference between the 2 axles? Out of pure curiosity and knowledge learning, I'm going to call ford and ask them.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe this would help check for a mechanical LSD?

Not sure if a certain amount of friction has to be detected before the gears will bind. Interestingly enough, I recall observing this with my RC cars when I was young. If it's an electronic LSD, there will be some sort of electronic actuator connected to the differential case.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your sticker shows 3L, then you more than likely have the super duty 3L LSD, and my hypothesis may be correct, which is Ford started with 3L axles and changed mid-year to the 2E. I just found in my 2019 tow brochure that the 3L is an Electronic Limited Slip Differential, (3L(1)(1) Electronic Limited Slip axle.).
My question is what is the difference between the 2 axles? Out of pure curiosity and knowledge learning, I'm going to call ford and ask them.
If I’m not mistaken the super duty rear axle is larger, and likely does not fit the expedition’s F-150 platform. Suspension setup and tow ratings are also different.
I have a 2022, with eLSD and my sticker shows 3L. I have HD tow but I had to specifically order eLSD in addition. I do also have a wire connected to a solenoid on my rear axle.
Only thing I can think of is as they transitioned or had supply shortages they did use the same 3L physical axles as 2022 but removed the solenoid and swapped the gear pans. Technically it would operate the same, but internal parts might be slightly different considering the clutch plates. The miss matched axle code would indicate unique handling.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is simple as @rd618 alluded to.

1) There is no mechanical LSD/Locker in the Expedition since 2018. Period.
2) If you have wiring going to the Rear Diff, you have the ELSD. Done.

Trying to figure out Ford's screwed up codes will break you.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I have a 2022 4x4 Platinum Max with HEAVY-DUTY TRAILER TOW PKG $795. Also CONTROLTRAC WITH 3.73 EDLS $1500. Info from window sticker. I’ve been following this thread and to be honest I have been a little confused but learning a few things.

Last edited:

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken the super duty rear axle is larger, and likely does not fit the expedition’s F-150 platform. Suspension setup and tow ratings are also different.
I have a 2022, with eLSD and my sticker shows 3L. I have HD tow but I had to specifically order eLSD in addition. I do also have a wire connected to a solenoid on my rear axle.
Only thing I can think of is as they transitioned or had supply shortages they did use the same 3L physical axles as 2022 but removed the solenoid and swapped the gear pans. Technically it would operate the same, but internal parts might be slightly different considering the clutch plates. The miss matched axle code would indicate unique handling.
True but we are referring to the rear differential gears, hence the 3.73 ratio rear end. The axles may be smaller than a designated super duty vehicle, but the pumpkin, (rear differential housing), is big enough to accommodate the 3L. The 3L was used all the way up through 2022, then changed to 2E. It may be the same and definition changed to stop confusion or modified for improvement. The 3L diff has a tendency to make weird noises from time to time, especially when backing up.
From Ford:
The Ford Super Duty axle code 3l, (aka Sterling 10.5 axle), is a Limited slip axle witH3.73 gears. Locate the axle identification tag on the rear axle on the differential cover bolt in the 12 o'clock position. The number in the lower left-hand corner is the gear ratio, for example, "3.73." If the number has an "L" in it, for example, "3L08," it is a limited-slip axle. You can also find it located on the front door on the driver's side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True but we are referring to the rear differential gears, hence the 3.73 ratio rear end. The axles may be smaller than a designated super duty vehicle, but the pumpkin, (rear differential housing), is big enough to accommodate the 3L. The 3L was used all the way up through 2022, then changed to 2E. It may be the same and definition changed to stop confusion or modified for improvement. The 3L diff has a tendency to make weird noises from time to time, especially when backing up.
From Ford:
The Ford Super Duty axle code 3l, (aka Sterling 10.5 axle), is a Limited slip axle witH3.73 gears. Locate the axle identification tag on the rear axle on the differential cover bolt in the 12 o'clock position. The number in the lower left-hand corner is the gear ratio, for example, "3.73." If the number has an "L" in it, for example, "3L08," it is a limited-slip axle. You can also find it located on the front door on the driver's side.
Good info. Thanks for all of you input on this thread.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ELSD is an option outside of the heavy duty tow package for the 22 and 23. You have to order both packages regardless of trim (62E is the ELSD). For earlier model years the ELSD was included with the tow package (and some other packages) but Ford changed that. If it isn't listed on your Monroney sticker you don't have it. I have a hard button near the gear shifter and mode selection for ELSD "lock" on my 22 with the smaller screen.
@jjscsix , here's what the button looks like if you have the option:

1691771967233.png

Stsysar

Reaction score
Just checked mine out of curiosity, 2023 max Limited 4x4, 3.73 elsd, HD Tow pkg, i have 3L. I have lock button in the centre console. Dec 2022 build date.

I am curios to know if there is a difference between 3L and 2E?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani