2023 Limited Vibrating at 80mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josephzac

Reaction score
Hi All,

i know its illegal to drive at 80mph or above and it does not happen often, but when the flowing traffic is over 80 on a 70 limit the new 2023 Limited with less than 1000 miles on it is vibrating. I can feel it on the steering and the floor.

Went to the dealer Sheehy Ford Gaithersburg and they said they cannot test anything more than 65mph and below 65 its fine. So they are not going to fix anything as they cannot replicate it.. What happens if this vibration slowly starts popping at lower speeds in the future?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

josedirte4

Reaction score
Have you checked your tire pressure lately since the weather has been changing? They could also be out of balance. I know it's a new car, but anything can happen during transport unfortunately.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tire pressure and balance. The new vehicles sit for extended periods and can get out of round. Might even need a road force balance. If the tires are new you can take them to Discount Tire and have warranties placed on them, then they will do the balance for free.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

i know its illegal to drive at 80mph or above and it does not happen often, but when the flowing traffic is over 80 on a 70 limit the new 2023 Limited with less than 1000 miles on it is vibrating. I can feel it on the steering and the floor.

Went to the dealer Sheehy Ford Gaithersburg and they said they cannot test anything more than 65mph and below 65 its fine. So they are not going to fix anything as they cannot replicate it.. What happens if this vibration slowly starts popping at lower speeds in the future?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

When my wife and I took a driving trip out west - we drove through several states that had a posted speed limit of 80 mph.

I would return to the Ford dealer (or a different one), and insist that the tires be examined and balanced under terms of your warranty.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attached are Ford resources and procedures a dealership tire tech might employ to evaluate & correct your issue.

Good luck!

Attachments

• GSB 22-7105 - Road Force® Balancing Guide For Tire Vibrations, Tire Warranty Conditions Guide.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Wheels and Tires - Diagnosis and Testing - 2022-2024 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    665.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Wheel to Tire Runout Minimization - General Procedures - 2022-2024 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Wheel to Hub Runout Minimization - General Procedures - 2022-2024 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    215.5 KB · Views: 10

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is common on these trucks. It's all over the 4th gen forum. The common fix is getting all tries road force balanced, however the trouble is getting a shop to do it for you.

mrstimmy

Reaction score
I just got my 23 Limited Max on Friday and noticed the same thing yesterday! I took mine to Discount Tire and they balanced 3 of the 4 tires. It’s definitely better, but I can still feel it. It’s very disheartening because I never had any issues with my 19 XLT. There is a toll road around here with a posted speed limit of 80, so it’s not like I just want to ignore it. I’ll take it back to DT when I get the chance to have them check again before going to the dealer.

Moeman

Reaction score
We have a 2022 XLT. It's our first Expedition so I can't compare to other MY's, but man is this thing terrible. I agree that wheel imbalance is probably your issue, but could also be driveline (driveshafts or half-shafts). Agree that if you can't get the Ford dealer to do it, Discount Tire does a good job - I paid $80 for them to rebalance some wheels/tires we bought on line. I managed to get rid of all our speed dependent vibration. Now I just have the impact harshness - you know, hit a small ripple in the road and the whole vehicle resonates like a tuning fork for a second or so.

On a related note, I happened to be doing an oil change this weekend and notice my front FESM bolts (front end sheet metal) off-center to the body mount by about a 1/2". Confirmed with measurements of tire to fender, and body to frame that the whole body was shifted on the frame at the front by like 3/8". So that was part of my Sunday. Loosened all my body mount bolts, nudged the front of the body over to center, and re-tightened. Was hoping that the side-loaded body mounts were part of the vibration problem, but can't say I felt much improvement.

OP
OP
josephzac

josephzac

Reaction score
Tire pressure and balance. The new vehicles sit for extended periods and can get out of round. Might even need a road force balance. If the tires are new you can take them to Discount Tire and have warranties placed on them, then they will do the balance for free.
Hi @JasonH , Thanks for the advice.. btw, i got the alignment and balancing.. Alignment was bit off as per the results.. but the vibration still exists..

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi @JasonH , Thanks for the advice.. btw, i got the alignment and balancing.. Alignment was bit off as per the results.. but the vibration still exists..
Was it the road force balance? If so, next option is to change out the tires. Depending on how much tread is left, there may be a credit available. I've purchased slightly used tires in a pinch so I know some tire shops do have them. I've also worn out tires quickly in my EV and got replacements at half off.