21 miles to E my A**!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so the expy left me and the family on the side of the road the other night and had to call AAA for some gas. The computer said 21 miles to empty, and we were planning on filling up when we got to town. What the Heck?!? Now I know I can't trust it. I used to have a vehicle with this feature and it was rock solid accurate, is this one not?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
well at least you AAA was worth what you payed for it.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get nervous when I get under 40 miles left. I have never trusted the digital readout, and never will. As soon as I hear the ding that I have less than 50 miles left, I fill it up. I do think mine comes on early too as I can only get about 21 gallons in the tank, and it holds 27. My wife has taken her car to around 10 miles left before, and I was hoping it WOULD run out of gas to prove a point to her. She got lucky and made it to the gas station before she ran out.

OP
OP

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"I" did NOT let it get that low, my wife is the daily driver of the Expy and SHE let it get that low. Of which she will NEVER let that happen again!

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fuel mileage fluctuates, and your "miles till empty" is based on fuel mileage. Chances are you haven't reset it for a while, so while you are avg 15mpg, and for the last 20 miles you are really getting 10, its gonna be off...I'm not gonna beat a dead horse here, but unless you are absolutly broke, and trying to get every last mile out of it...don't let "her" do it again. :D

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife does the same thing...she runs it routinely under 10 miles to empty. I can't wait for it to run out...I'll definitely be busy when she calls for some help.

She gets mad at me when I mention it..."the computer tells me how far I've got!"

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow I must have gotten lucky a few times I let mine get down to single digits but probaly wont be doing that again.... lol

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that's one way to kill the fuel pump early. The fuel pump uses the gas as a way to cool it down. When you run it so low, it shortens the life of the pump. Also, you pick up w/e is on the bottom of your fuel tank. I guess as long as you change your fuel filter sooner, that aspect should be fine.

OP
OP

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well needless to say there is a new rule in effect in this household. When the tank reaches 1/4, FILL IT UP!!!

Last edited: