2K Expedition Mystery Leak & Jingling Noise. Need To ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lexi

Reaction score
Hi, decided to join up to ask my question and see if I can get any closer to identifying the issue before taking it to a mechanic...

I am the 2nd owner and noticed a jingling sound, like a chain jingling, on rough uneven roads...mostly noticeable from the driver side rear (passengers have claimed not to hear it, but I hear it on the driver side with the window down).

Not sure if that's connected but this morning I pulled over to see what the noise is or if something's loose or fallen because it was substantially louder and when I looked underneath from the passenger side rear area, I saw a spray of liquid pouring out from this part of the vehicle, big foot wide splatter on the ground and the fluid was dark and kind of brownish. I thought it was gasoline, kind of that color and it may have been but it didn't quite smell like gasoline. I dabbed some on my finger and a larger blotch on a napkin and it didn't smell like gasoline but had a faint gas odor beneath more of a metallic smell.

I had to drive 12 miles into town and 12 miles back, and the leaking stopped but I figure it's because it all drained out. Also suddenly unable to gas it over 55 without it starting to shimmy, vibrate, shake and a drag or pull or "reluctant" sensation on shifting to a higher gear to accelerate. Also, accelerating up a hill the service engine soon light began blinking but then it'd stop. It stays on constantly and the manual said it'll do that if the gas cap isn't secured right, but if it flashes, it's an actual problem.

Never determined the jingling noise but it sounds basically like a chain dragging and bouncing and jingling against the ground in motion but nothing's hanging down from under there except a small flap of what appears to be old electrical tape or something. I can't get under further to see.

I'm terrified it'll be the transmission or some insane part that will cost a grand or more and isn't worth the value of the vehicle and I'll be screwed. So I'm hoping for some feedback and general cost for repair to give me an idea what I'd be looking at and in case a mechanic gives me the run around because I have boobies...and blonde hair :D

On a lighter note, in early December I took it to get the oil changed and serviced and checked out, and it got a two thumbs up from the mechanics, all said it was in remarkable shape and nothing visual during their servicing that they'd consider needed repairing any time soon except a brake job in the next 10k miles or so.

I'm adding two pics. One is a pic I just took from the phone of the specific area the fluid was spraying out of earlier. The other is some other vehicle pic I swiped off the web to point out the area of the part in question.

I know nothing about what's under there so please be gentle breaking the bad news to me :)

ETA: I know it's imperfect but the sound most similar to the jingling noise it makes is like Santa's sleigh bells jingling...it's a light jingling noise, light chain bouncing sound, or even a light chain *crunching* noise, and not a heavy chain clanging sound. If that helps!

Also, after researching more I am leaning toward the jerking and shaking it was doing (similar to how it jerks when you have a flat, but I don't have a flat) to be tied to the fact I was on empty and the OD showed 50 miles before I ran out - and I honestly don't know how accurate that gauge is but I was basically almost out of gas. When I fill up I'll see if that solved that problem.

I updated the profile and added a bit of info on my Ex in the sig like you guys do, so hopefully it'll help.

Thanks for all who bother to answer!

Attachments

• Ford Leak Area.jpg
    Ford Leak Area.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Ford Raptor Underside 01.jpg
    Ford Raptor Underside 01.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Location: what difference does that make? Doesn't really make a difference But I would ask if your ashamed of where you live But it does help to know if your in a salt belt area when it comes to certain questions you may have

But what really does matter is that it helps to know information about you expy like year model engine 4X4 etc. Although I did notice you had 2k but wasn't sure if that was a reference to the year or the cost

OP
OP
Lexi

Lexi

Reaction score
Because where I live has zero relevance to my question and I wanted a simple registration without the 3rd degree. it has nothing to do with being ashamed of where I am, it's nobody's business where I am.

Do you need the names of my children, where they went to school, or the color of my eyes to sign me up to ask a question that apparently you didn't also bother answering?

I didn't join or register to get irrelevant responses. I asked a question I'd really appreciate some feedback on. If I came to the wrong forum just point that out instead of trying to school me on crap that's irrelevant to the question.

My concern is how much this is going to cost me...I do not care one whit that you or anyone else don't get to know my location for registering. And I put in the relevant information in the title you saw first.

Now...do you actually have an answer or not?

And by the way, since we're scolding people and going off topic, it's not "your" ashamed or "your" in, it's YOU'RE. For you are.

Good?

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
who cares or was that your response as to how you found the forum

But again what is relevant to your question is knowing information about your expy as there are members on here that may have had similar problems with the same year and may give you some advice

But you will only get out what you put in.

Its a shame that so many new members have the attitude you have they could care less about the members on this forum as long as they get what they want and then disappear until the next time they want someone to kiss their butt.

Sorry I wasted your time

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and you like so many others are just looking for free advice but don't want to give information that could be helpful to help you

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1) Video with sound would help determine the source of the noise. Does the sound stop when the brakes are applied? Do you have all of the hub caps still on the wheels?

2) First pic looks like the bottom of a muffler. If it is, the liquid is condensation in the exhaust system.

3) Since the CEL has come on I'd have the system scanned for any historic codes.

4) 2wd or 4wd?

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The jingling might be a swaybar link as I had the same noise under my expy $15 dollars for part+ labor

OP
OP
Lexi

Lexi

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

stamp11127

1) Video with sound would help determine the source of the noise. Does the sound stop when the brakes are applied? Do you have all of the hub caps still on the wheels?

It would be near impossible to do a video because it only happens when I drive on uneven surface, and if I stick the phone out the window while driving, chances are all you'd hear is a roar of wind :D It stops when I am on smooth road but jingles again hitting a bump or on bad roads, dirt roads, over tracks, speed bumps, etc. I do have all the hub caps. And it does stop when brakes are applied.

2) First pic looks like the bottom of a muffler. If it is, the liquid is condensation in the exhaust system.

The pic is the area still wet from this morning when it sprayed out whatever it was. but only a half dollar sized puddle after I'd driven 12 miles and parked to go in the bank. I checked when I came out and since then nothing more but I'd assumed that it's because whatever was in there drained empty.

3) Since the CEL has come on I'd have the system scanned for any historic codes.

I did have it done when I took it in but it came back on after I filled up the tank the next time after servicing.

4) 2wd or 4wd?

4x2

JUST4FUN

The jingling might be a swaybar link as I had the same noise under my expy $15 dollars for part+ labor

I can't do anything for another 2 weeks so I thought I'd try asking other Expedition owners or even Ford owners if it's familiar to get an idea what it might be and what kind of repair I'm looking at. My concern is we have a cross country trip planned for the first week of March and I'm hoping whatever it is will be more a nuisance than a danger and we can still make the trip. We made one trip already 2 months ago with the noise and camped awhile (2-3 weeks) but this upcoming trip is literally one side of the country to the other (clues for Roxy :D ) so I am kind of freaking out now about the cost of this...scared it'll cost more to fix than it's worth!

A 15 dollar part and labor (provided labor isn't 800 bucks) would be ideal. I'm less worried about the noise - it got us 1600 miles already without any issues, it was just louder this morning and when I got out to see if maybe something was falling out, I saw the spray coming out of that one part and I'm not sure if the three issues are connected or not, and more worried about whatever's leaking out because it definitely started driving rough as I accelerated, like the whole vehicle went to shaking and jerking the faster I was going.

Any leads to help me further research it to have some knowledge on hand is most appreciated.

I've only owned it 2 months and hope it's not about to turn into a nightmare!

Last edited:

Wurship7

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Lexi. I did a search on the color and smell you gave of the fluid, and so far, things are leaning towards the transmission fluid. Please forgive me, you said you had your expi. serviced, did that include the tranny? Have you checked the fluid levels?

OP
OP
Lexi

Lexi

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Lexi. I did a search on the color and smell you gave of the fluid, and so far, things are leaning towards the transmission fluid. Please forgive me, you said you had your expi. serviced, did that include the tranny? Have you checked the fluid levels?

Ewww...don't want it to be that :p

I had it serviced in the beginning of December and stressed to them I was about to be making a long distance trip and traveling a bit and just bought it so wanted them to look it over top to bottom and see if there's anything that looks like it'll bring me trouble, anything wrong, bad news waiting to happen, anything I need to fix before I get out on the road.

They said there appears to be a small water pump leak but it's less than drizzle...it could get worse, it'd be about 400 something to replace. I opted not to and would do it when it needed it. Aside from that they gave it a good rating, got all the fluids changed and refilled, etc. tires properly inflated, and other things, made sure it all worked and said that was the only thing they could see that is a potential issue, and that I'll probably need to get the brakes serviced within a year. Other than that, they gave a green light on a road trip and said in their opinion it seems like a well maintained vehicle, nothing's wrong with it and they took good care of it. (They apparently did, they had it detailed when I looked at it - it was immaculate inside, cleanest vehicle I've ever seen! Though it's a mess now from camping!)

After I posted and asked I did remember that about the pump leak but the coolant/water is full and hasn't budged, haven't checked the oil or transmission fluid yet because it's been pouring down rain and no dry place to do it...but when it clears up I'll be checking it to see what drained.

Let me ask - if I do and the oil and transmission, and power steering fluids are all still full and normal, would that reasonably exclude the transmission fluid pouring out the muffler or around there as a potential option?

pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes! :kiss:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701