2K Expedition Mystery Leak & Jingling Noise. Need To ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ewww...don't want it to be that :p

I had it serviced in the beginning of December and stressed to them I was about to be making a long distance trip and traveling a bit and just bought it so wanted them to look it over top to bottom and see if there's anything that looks like it'll bring me trouble, anything wrong, bad news waiting to happen, anything I need to fix before I get out on the road.

They said there appears to be a small water pump leak but it's less than drizzle...it could get worse, it'd be about 400 something to replace. I opted not to and would do it when it needed it. Aside from that they gave it a good rating, got all the fluids changed and refilled, etc. tires properly inflated, and other things, made sure it all worked and said that was the only thing they could see that is a potential issue, and that I'll probably need to get the brakes serviced within a year. Other than that, they gave a green light on a road trip and said in their opinion it seems like a well maintained vehicle, nothing's wrong with it and they took good care of it. (They apparently did, they had it detailed when I looked at it - it was immaculate inside, cleanest vehicle I've ever seen! Though it's a mess now from camping!)

After I posted and asked I did remember that about the pump leak but the coolant/water is full and hasn't budged, haven't checked the oil or transmission fluid yet because it's been pouring down rain and no dry place to do it...but when it clears up I'll be checking it to see what drained.

Let me ask - if I do and the oil and transmission, and power steering fluids are all still full and normal, would that reasonably exclude the transmission fluid pouring out the muffler or around there as a potential option?

pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes! :kiss:
Umm, I don't think it's mechanically possible for any fluids to come pouring out of your muffler, other than a Lil bit of water from condensation which is normal.

Exhaust systems only evacuate burnt fuel, the transmission and any other fluids do not have anything to do with the exhaust system, unless your engine is burning oil or coolant but u would notice that your exhaust smoke would be coming out in different color and is very noticeable and smells.

It might really help if you maybe tried doing a google search to see if there's any videos on YouTube etc. Showing the basics of how an internal combustion actually works would probably be a good idea, there would be less mystery as far as what is going on under the hood of your vehicle when you then the key, since you plan on trusting your vehicle to take you and your family across the country.

I personally couldn't imagine doing that in a mystery vehicle that I don't know how it operates, i don't know everything about jet engines, but i know how they operate and when i fly i take comfort in that knowledge, as with cars, i know allot so i feel comfortable taking my family wherever in our vehicles, and know how to fix them. And i am not a mechanic. knowledge is power.

If you had made that same comment regarding fluids pouring out of your muffler to a mechanic that is a crook, they would have a field day running up a huge bill for you because they would know that you know absolutely nothing about cars.

Those other comments you had made to someone on this forum regarding information on your location I found to be very rude, if you have spent any time on this forum you would know that the ppl on here are very nice and only ask questions because they are trying to determine the best possible answer for you.

Unloading with a bunch of rude comments makes you look like an ungrateful person, idk how you could be expecting help from ppl that you insult, if you were on the side of the road stranded and you made some snotty remark like you did on this forum id leave you on the side of the road wondering if your muffler bearings are going, or if its your flux capicitor. Or maybe the warp drive? do u think the ppl on here want to e stalk you? Get over yourself.

wall_e

Reaction score
d5bffe04fa128af71335fd0696b9639e.jpg

Here ya go, it is the lube inside the bearings leaking. Is an easy fix though. Jk it seriously sounds like the condensation from your exhaust draining hence the dark color and metallic/fuel smell. The clinking is probably either an exhaust hanger or a sway bar bushing. Simple to fix with a bit of mechanical knowledge.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
those other comments you had made to someone on this forum regarding information on your location i found to be very rude, if you have spent any time on this forum you would know that the ppl on here are very nice and only ask questions because they are trying to determine the best possible answer for you.

Unloading with a bunch of rude comments makes you look like an ungrateful person, idk how you could be expecting help from ppl that you insult, if you were on the side of the road stranded and you made some snotty remark like you did on this forum id leave you on the side of the road wondering if your muffler bearings are going, or if its your flux capicitor. Or maybe the warp drive? Do u think the ppl on here want to e stalk you? Get over yourself.

To northernexp
thank you

Last edited:

Wurship7

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. Lexi, please disregard all the negative comments. I still recommend ruling out a tranny fluid leak. Check for a hole in the muffler where the leak is. The fluid could be from condensation flowing through it. If there's still traces of the leak, if possible, I would get the truck on a lift, and see if you can follow the leak to the source. Have a good day.

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To northernexp
thank you
No need for a thank you but you are most welcome!

Also to the OP,

if your vehicle check light is flashing going uphill it's trying to tell you that your engine is misfiring and this is something to be very concerned about, your spark plugs and coil packs are most likely due to be changed, as I had the exact same problem on my 01 expedition.

You will notice a huge difference if and when you service the engine appropriately. Best of luck

To northernexp
thank you

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. Lexi, please disregard all the negative comments. I still recommend ruling out a tranny fluid leak. Check for a hole in the muffler where the leak is. The fluid could be from condensation flowing through it. If there's still traces of the leak, if possible, I would get the truck on a lift, and see if you can follow the leak to the source. Have a good day.
If u happened to learn anything from the "negative comments" regarding your negative attitude, then please do not disregard it. And I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk, it's coming from a good place because you were being rude.

The first thing you should do is have a diagnostic scan to see what the check engine light is for, and get it on a lift to see if there is any fluids leaking. You can also check your fluid levels under the hood to see if there is any fluid missing from your engine, transmission, coolant, power steering, etc.

Last edited:

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the jingling noise as well for many months before I finally figured out it was the axle nut retaining shields on the front wheels. Just popped the hubcaps off, pulled the retainers, bent them so they gripped the axle nuts, then no more jingling.

The 'leak' sure seems like condensation from the exhaust and depending on what was serviced, may have a misfire that'd cause the shaking...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$400+ for a water pump replacement?????

AC Delco pump from Rock Auto is $60 plus shipping, maybe 1.5 hrs labor @ $100 per hour is $210+ total.

Thieves......

OP
OP
Lexi

Lexi

Reaction score
To the ones who can't manage to stay on topic, I did not get rude with anyone. I registered on this forum to ask a question since you can't just post as a guest. Nobody on this forum asked where I was. The registration form "required it" so I responded "what difference does it make?" because it's irrelevant to any question I'd ask about my transportation.

After I posted the question, someone invested time to click the title, read my question, utterly ignore my question and give me grief about my location. I hate people who do that crap...it's like they have nothing better to do with their time than watch themselves type. They post off topic nonsense and then try to complain or make the rude comments themselves and then act like a victim when they get challenged.

Roxy only needed to either A. realize she had no clue what the problem is and PASS IT BY or B. offer a suggestion about the post. I didn't ask for anyone's opinions about my location. Then she kept on bringing it up again because she didn't like being called out. Plain and simple. And apparently now she has cheerleaders.

I get it if you don't know or don't have any interest in trying to help or answer a question but please go hijack someone else's thread. I've got a potentially serious issue and I'm unable to get to a shop for 3 weeks and decided to attempt a forum about my specific type of vehicle.

If it'll unbunch Roxy's ******* though, I'm in the desert southwest. You'll have to just live with that much information and if that's not enough, oh well. There's a difference between being rude and firmly requesting someone mind their business and either stay on topic or take a hike. I know what my intent was. I'm not responsible for low self esteem or weak minds or what they interpret.

I don't HAVE a negative attitude. I asked a question about my vehicle. Then I get an off topic post giving me a hard time without so much as a welcome, then a rude, prissy assumption about being ashamed of where I am...get real.

It got irritated and I responded in kind, she can't deal so now she keeps whining and complaining and hijacking the topic instead of recognizing A. where I am is nobody's business until I feel it is, B. she has nothing to offer regarding the topic, and C. she's rudely hijacking someone's thread making it about her...and just go post somewhere else and leave it alone.

Three or so days later and nope...still disrupting things. Next time, OT's are going on mute so I don't have to see it.

------------

As for the others who responded, thank you kindly. I will look into all of these suggestions and try to get this worked out. I appreciate the feedback, I truly do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lexi

Lexi

Reaction score
$400+ for a water pump replacement?????

AC Delco pump from Rock Auto is $60 plus shipping, maybe 1.5 hrs labor @ $100 per hour is $210+ total.

Thieves......

Yep...which is why I declined and will get it done when it actually needs it. I won't say that's not the issue but my fluids are all full. For the record it was a NAPA parts shop. In case that helps anyone in similar situation.

I used to date mechanics, win/win...I think I might revisit that option! :D

Last edited: