2wd with Electronic Locking Diff in Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding AWD/RWD, one additional item to think about is resale. The 2wd variants really limit the US market sale to the south if you ever do decide to sell.

I expect everyone north of Kentucky remove 2wd from search criteria (as I did). Of course some great deals could be had on 2wd, but given the modern car purchase process of online, and selling to all of US, you’ll probably get the money back on the AWD premium, plus an easier time to sell.

Of course if you plan to drive the car into the ground, save the money and go 2wd if that all you need.

Exactly. My buddy trades trucks every 2 years and he absolutely never uses 4wd because he goes south in the winters. He has come to only by 4x4's because nobody wants a 2wd and it really limits his ability to trade/resell his trucks. He's found that he gets 3X the initial investment of the 4x4 cost back upon selling it.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. My buddy trades trucks every 2 years and he absolutely never uses 4wd because he goes south in the winters. He has come to only by 4x4's because nobody wants a 2wd and it really limits his ability to trade/resell his trucks. He's found that he gets 3X the initial investment of the 4x4 cost back upon selling it.

Great point. I bought a 1 year old 2wd so someone else experienced the $20k depreciation not me haha.

Rossue

Reaction score
My Jura was great for ten years; the new Philips (Saeco) are better IMO.

Only AWD I've ever owned was a '13 Highlander to pull my Escape 17B. FWD only for towing really sucks. Now with a 21 with another 1000#'s we moved up to a real SUV, first with a Yukon and now our Expy. Both RWD. Yukon sold to first caller on Craigslist; trade would have been same in retrospect for the sales tax differential. So I don't buy the resale being better when you don't live in snow country. Have never regretted not having 4WD and we tow all over and boondock as much as possible. Had to deflate the rear tires once on the Yukon when turning around at a BLM site, yet with the ELSD on the Expy I might not need to do that.

People talk about mpg difference, yet extra maintenance and higher insurance costs are there too. If you need it, fine. If not don't get it cause people who have 4WD tell you you need it. BTW, you still need chains unless you have snow tires. Still remember that Discovery being towed by CHP on Kingsbury Grade near Tahoe for not having them.