2wd with Electronic Locking Diff in Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but I find this topic interesting and want to make sure I'm reading it right...

Would you be of the opinion 4wd snow tires > 2wd snow tires? Or, is this thread saying 2wd always > 4wd in snow?

No, I was saying that if you have a choice between 2WD with snow tires and 4WD without snow tires, the former is the superior option.

brhulen

Reaction score
Having grown up in Moab, Utah and lived 26 years in Interior Alaska I have always owned a 4wd, but that is still not an end all to be all. I once test drove a Jeep Rubicon with factory lockers. On glare ice, 2wd it wouldn't move an inch. Not to be dissuaded i shifted into 4wd and it moved better but still not definitively. So then I locked the front and rear axles and that little Jeep moved right out. From that time forward i am a firm believer in lockers. Snow tires, studs and 4wd are a good start but for my money lockers are the answer. Ford must have finally recognized this as I understand some of the new Broncos are locker equipped. That being said I do believe 4wd will suffice for most applications as they rarely ever get shifted into 4wd or perish the thought actually go "off road". But that remaining 10% will benefit from having lockers.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend got rid of her Chrysler 300 she loved because she was afraid of RWD and snow. I said get snow tires as well as a few others and she didn’t listen, makes a difference. Some stories are exaggerated though, but now she’s in a lame equinox.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing gripping the road is your tires, so I don't care what you have for drivetrain, the tires are providing the traction. Snow tires are called just that for a darn good reason! :)

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Growing up in Minnesota, I stacked hay bales (the old fashioned kind you could throw around) sideways in back of my 2WD F100. they fit just right and with snow tires on the back I could go just about anywhere...anywhere prudent anyways.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
RWD even with winter tires will be more challenging on acceleration/inclines than a 4wd with good a/s tires. All other conditions (flat, turns, stopping), 2wd front / rear winters will be superior.

It’s far more dangerous not being able to stop or turn than it is to accelerate.

I’ve had all configurations (fwd, rwd, 4wd) with summers, a/s and winters. 4wd/winters are best, with lockers amping it up.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll also say, practice with what you have. See how the vehicle behaves under different conditions in snow and ice (slowly of course). Different vehicles and tire combinations behave differently. You need to know the difference in behavior between braking turning, accelerating, and how much you need in different conditions (and also learn what not to do!)

snow tires, and a/4wd, are not the solution, just part of the equation.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll also say, practice with what you have. See how the vehicle behaves under different conditions in snow and ice (slowly of course). Different vehicles and tire combinations behave differently. You need to know the difference in behavior between braking turning, accelerating, and how much you need in different conditions (and also learn what not to do!)

snow tires, and a/4wd, are not the solution, just part of the equation.

100% agree, always necessary to know the limits and even test them in a parking lot or not busy road so that you know what the car can and car do. Plus, it’s a fun time while you test!

I try to test the car every year or major snowfall just to see how it behaves in that specific condition and tire tread wear. A cold snowfall after wet melting conditions means ice underneath vs the first snowfall of the year with no ice. Or older all season tires or snow tires vs brand new, will behave differently. Do a quick test on that first pull out of your driveway, see how it behaves.

But, back to the original topic, pleasantly surprise with RWD and the ELSD. For all you southerns looking at 2018 or 2019 models with RWD, grab the heavy duty tow package for the ELSD and better grip. I’m glad I got this rather than 4wd, even if I don’t tow more than a couple of times ever.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding AWD/RWD, one additional item to think about is resale. The 2wd variants really limit the US market sale to the south if you ever do decide to sell.

I expect everyone north of Kentucky remove 2wd from search criteria (as I did). Of course some great deals could be had on 2wd, but given the modern car purchase process of online, and selling to all of US, you’ll probably get the money back on the AWD premium, plus an easier time to sell.

Of course if you plan to drive the car into the ground, save the money and go 2wd if that all you need.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now now, everybody knows you’ll die of withdrawal from your Starbucks unless you get a 4wd.