35W 6000K HID Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric_in_tx

Reaction score
Anybody done this? Do I NEED to have Bi-Xenon? I have a 2006 Expy KR. I know that there is a bulb for low beam and one for high beam. Don't use high beam very often so thinking a decent Sylvania bulb in there and then just doing the HID for low beam and then for driving/fog lights. Anybody done this? Good place to mount the ballast? I found a nice kit for the price of premium regular light bulbs.

If anybody has done this upgrade would appreciate any tips.

DFendersExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
iphone175_zps014d204d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Anybody done this? Do I NEED to have Bi-Xenon? I have a 2006 Expy KR. I know that there is a bulb for low beam and one for high beam. Don't use high beam very often so thinking a decent Sylvania bulb in there and then just doing the HID for low beam and then for driving/fog lights. Anybody done this? Good place to mount the ballast? I found a nice kit for the price of premium regular light bulbs.

If anybody has done this upgrade would appreciate any tips.

It can be done.... If you dont use the High beam then just get the low beam....
But chances are when you do get to use the high beam you will wish you had HID for the High beams...

Trust me I wasent happy until each Light was HID
Bi xenon HID head lights 10,000K
2 pairs bumper fogs 10,000K
1 pair center HID 10,000k
1 pair Grill HID 10,000k
Looked like a Jet landing on the runway when they were all on...

OP
OP
eric_in_tx

eric_in_tx

Reaction score
If you go bi-xenon what happens to the high beam lights?

Isn't bi-xenon one bulb with a shroud?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dont the 2nd gens have seperate bulbs for low/high beam???

if so there is no need for bi xenon

bi xenon is for the likes of the 1st gen with one bulb for both

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need to go bi-xenon. I just used the 5K hid kit that I bought from ZombieSoldier for $85 here on this forum. It was plug and play. The 6K bulbs have less lumens than the 5K bulbs which is why I went with them. I paid big bucks for a pair of 4300K Sylvania halogen bulbs for my high beams and they are not as white as the 5Ks but in reality I don't use them now that I have the HIDs. To me it wasn't worth buying two HID kits.

DFendersExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go bi-xenon what happens to the high beam lights?

Isn't bi-xenon one bulb with a shroud?

yes Bi- xenon is one bulb set up
If you do Bi xenon you will lose use of the high beam bulb... If you the a regular low beam set up and a high beam set up... you will have a brighter out put when you use the high beam... personally I like it being separate Hi and Low.. Sometimes the bi xenon doesn't switch over to high beam function the flange gets stuck at times....

OP
OP
eric_in_tx

eric_in_tx

Reaction score
That is kinda where I was confused. With the seperate bulbs didn't think Bi-xenon was needed. Want the 6000K 35W as I don't want to retrofit a projector in to run the 55W bulbs. 6000K 35W is supposed to be the equivalent of 5000K 55W. I was going to run Sylvania bulbs in the high beam (upgrade from factory bulb) and then run the HID in the driving/fogs and the low beam. Where is the best place to mount the ballast? Do I just bolt it to the vehicle?

From what I have seen kits run between $89.00 all the way up to $260. Don't want to have to plug into the batter either. Don't think you need to with regular HID's but not totally sure.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i really like the digital kits and 35 watt is the way i would go even thou the new 55 watts produce less heat

i cant post where i get them but if anyone wants to know they can PM me

DFendersExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is kinda where I was confused. With the seperate bulbs didn't think Bi-xenon was needed. Want the 6000K 35W as I don't want to retrofit a projector in to run the 55W bulbs. 6000K 35W is supposed to be the equivalent of 5000K 55W. I was going to run Sylvania bulbs in the high beam (upgrade from factory bulb) and then run the HID in the driving/fogs and the low beam. Where is the best place to mount the ballast? Do I just bolt it to the vehicle?

From what I have seen kits run between $89.00 all the way up to $260. Don't want to have to plug into the batter either. Don't think you need to with regular HID's but not totally sure.

I bolted the ballast on the frame behind the head lights giving yourself some slack on the wiring

No need for projectors unless you want them

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817