3rd Gen Expedition meets Godzilla

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 7.3 Godzilla arrives from summit tomorrow to my mechanics shop and we are starting the swap. From what I’ve been able to find, a lot of people are interested in this swap yet no one has done it. I’ll keep posting progress along the way but I’m already invested so it’s happening now one way or another. I just couldn’t bring myself to buy another 5.4 after all the issues that engine gave me.
I see that you’re from CA and I’m wondering if you have a secret on getting around strict emission laws? Is this gonna be a off highway unit when completed? Pretty cool project though and keep us informed.

weston707

Reaction score
I see that you’re from CA and I’m wondering if you have a secret on getting around strict emission laws? Is this gonna be a off highway unit when completed? Pretty cool project though and keep us informed.
Off-road use only now, which isn’t to bad since majority of the roads in my county are rough dirt logging roads, I will probably chance it driving the 5-10 miles from my house to the hills where i can hit some trails but no long hauls anymore, will be useful dragging heavy equipment around with a crew where I need 4x4.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Off-road use only now, which isn’t to bad since majority of the roads in my county are rough dirt logging roads, I will probably chance it driving the 5-10 miles from my house to the hills where i can hit some trails but no long hauls anymore, will be useful dragging heavy equipment around with a crew where I need 4x4.
Yeah it should be quite the Mule.

weston707

Reaction score
If you have a 4x4, the front transfer case gets in the way of the Godzilla oil pan, best option to work around it is looking like a solid axle swap and ditching the independent suspension that way we can get the clearance needed for the oil pan. Plus side to this is I’ll be able to do a real suspension lift and not just the standard ready lift spacers. The OBR harness and ECU with the USSHIFT trans controller is the option we went with and we will be removing that transfer case to fit and hopefully install the engine this week to run it in 2wd to test it, then it’s back to the shop for the axles that way I can have 4x4 again. I’m sourcing axles from a 93 f350. Dana 60 front and a sterling rear in 10:25. Hopefully will be a smoother job. Plus I’ll be able to get some 37’s on my car now no issue.

Costs are adding up quickly, this is not for the easily scared client to try. I’ll be $20k+ into just parts soon and that could go up even more if there are more issues we don’t know about yet. Plus you’ll need to source a relatively clean f350 for its axles which has been not so easy.

The 6R80 trans will work just fine, unless your thinking of doing a pro charger, turbos, or whipple. Then you’ll need to upgrade with a stage 3 kit like I’m planning to do once the whipple is available.

If you have a 2wd, Godzilla should be a pretty straight up job with the new harness and ecu.

weston707

Reaction score
crazy that this is actually taking place lol
Its a bit surreal, it’s been a lot of waiting on parts mainly. There was a big delay with the harness and ecu. Now with this axle job to solve the oil pan issue...whatever comes up, I will make sure to post about so people can do this aswell. Going to be one amazing car when it’s all done. Plus with used car prices so high and dealerships up charging, getting this done is still a cheaper option then buying a new 4th gen MAX. Plus I’ll have 515hp and eventually 1,000 + with the whipple once it’s available. We did find out I’ll need a new gauge cluster, going with a 12.5” touch screen Holley efi.

So far, new ECU, harness, gauges, axles and a stage 3 transmission Kit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357