3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How obvious is this issue when it happens?
Mine exploded on a road trip. If this happens you will not miss the knocks and rattles from the front end over sharp bumps. The whole control arm was soaked with oil

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is this a common issue with the XLTs? I have a fleet of base model Ford's and never had an issue. I just bought my 19 Expy FX4 and really don't like the body sway and already debating on Bilstein 5100 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EVERY one WITHOUT the 302A or Platinum has these shocks/struts.

TBaganATX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
EVERY one WITHOUT the 302A or Platinum has these shocks/struts.

Well.. I guess I will just go ahead and started ordering my Bilsteins.. now if I can just decide on which ones. [emoji51]

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It can be subtle to very obvious. Our rear passenger blew out completely and Everytime you hit a bump with that wheel it would shoot the steering wheel to the left hard. On the highway it was always trying to throw you into another lane, so it made it very sketchy to drive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bill McMahon

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2019 XLT with the tow package. less than 400 miles and 3 of the 4 are leaking oil. Service manager tried to say it was not a known issue, then had to tell me the replacements are on backorder with no date committed to. And it is not a problem? What a bunch of crap.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats why you buy the CCD equipped units. or Bilsteins!

Shouldn't be the case. If somebody in Ford is doing proper cost-benefit analysis, they will realize that paying $10 for a better shock absorber will save them $100 in customer repair down the road.

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shouldn't be the case. If somebody in Ford is doing proper cost-benefit analysis, they will realize that paying $10 for a better shock absorber will save them $100 in customer repair down the road.
That's true, but how many customers even realize the shock is blown? I'm surentheirncost analysis takes all that into consideration and Ford still ends up making a ton of money.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Absolutely, I bet half of the base models are running around on them leaking and they'll run out their warranty before they file a claim and its money SAVED as far as Ford's concerned!

TBaganATX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't looked, but I have had mine 3 weeks and put 2400 miles on it so far.. I will be changing my lame halogen gigs and replacing some other LEDs this weekend so perfect time to check..