4r100 3-4 shift concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverexp

Reaction score
My dad and I recently overhauled the 4r100 in my wife's 2001 5.4 expy because of the infamous failed mechanical diode intermediate one way clutch. Replaced with the sprag design OWC, intermediate drum, and replaced the direct drum due to nicks in the splines from the OWC failure. Replaced all seals, gaskets, frictions, steels, etc. Got it all back together, back on the road, and it runs great. Shift timing and feel is good. My concern is that after shifting into third, while still accelerating on the interstate, I notice a 300-400 rpm drop on the tach a few seconds after going into third, and then a good shift into OD a few seconds after that. Like I said before, all shifts are good and timed right, but it's as though there's an extra gear between 3rd and 4th. This occurs every time, and the amount of rpm drop varies with amount of acceleration. The harder the acceleration the bigger the drop. My first thought is Torque converter clutches are engaging, but it isn't supposed to do that while accelarating. Accumulator valve? I dont know? I dont think it's a major problem, but it's got me curious. Any info would be appreciated.

OP
OP
silverexp

silverexp

Reaction score
Okay, so you're thinking I have a sticky 2-3 shift valve?

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. If I was in that boat I would have put in a

TRANSGO PART: 4R100-HD2 "Tugger"

But now I would just do the seperior transmission helps line pressure fixed a few known issues with the 4r100 not that hard to do at all just drain pan pull filter out unscrew the valve body and your there. Cheap fix $50 and 5qt of fluid.

Best of all made in USA

Fixes shift slippage

OP
OP
silverexp

silverexp

Reaction score
That's what I thought too. But this is happening between 3rd and 4th at all temperatures, whether OD on or off. Even tried manual 2 to manual 3 with OD off. Same thing.