Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightyexpy

Reaction score
I recently installed the PowerStop Z36 Truck & Tow front brake rotor and pad kit.
Much better bite then the stock pads and gives off slightly less brake dust. Zero noise and stopping with a trailer is much better. Came with drilled and slotted rotors.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently installed the PowerStop Z36 Truck & Tow front brake rotor and pad kit.
Much better bite then the stock pads and gives off slightly less brake dust. Zero noise and stopping with a trailer is much better. Came with drilled and slotted rotors.
First thing I did after I got my Expy home

Attachments

• Expy brakes.jpg
    Expy brakes.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 28

KenK

Reaction score
Would love to see some stopping and life data for different brake set ups on Expys.
Recently learned that most auto parts store brakes, even their so called premium ones, are not nearly as good as factory brakes. This is especially true for the foot pressure needed to maintain the same stopping distance as OEM. While I have definitely improved braking on some vehicles by upgrading brakes, you will only do so with carefully selected premium replacements.

twanger

Reaction score
Would love to see some stopping and life data for different brake set ups on Expys.
Recently learned that most auto parts store brakes, even their so called premium ones, are not nearly as good as factory brakes. This is especially true for the foot pressure needed to maintain the same stopping distance as OEM. While I have definitely improved braking on some vehicles by upgrading brakes, you will only do so with carefully selected premium replacements.
Brake pad bite (“foot pressure needed”) has nothing to do with how “good” brake pads are. Merely a matter of your preference. I prefer pads with low bite myself, but to each his own. The important thing is to try to figure that out before buying!

And stopping distance isn’t a relevant criteria either— any available pad will stop you in the same distance. The main criteria are dust, life, high-temp performance, and wear on the rotor. Those are all trade-offs, while bite is a preference.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I noted while removing the factory pads/rotors, is that the rear pads were 3 times as worn as the front pads (35K miles on them). Also, learning the fun way that you need to put the Expy into "Parking Brake Maintenance Mode" prior to resetting the rear calibers. Broke the pads in, but waiting for after another wk of driving before I attempt 911 braking. So far stops a little better w/o any noise.

This got by me. The rear pads were worn 3 times more than the front?? Anybody else come across this?

KenK

Reaction score
Not looking to pick a fight with twanger and like he said "to each his own", just sharing my experience. I have found increased foot pressure is a safety issue especially with less experienced drivers and some ladies who don't realize the amount of leg pressure needed to effectively make an emergency stop in the shorted possible distance. They often don't press hard enough for threshold braking let alone hard enough to engage the anti-locks especially on dry pavement. Having taught 4 teenagers to drive and having a petite wife, I have seen this on multiple occasions were they just didn't press down hard enough and suspect this is a consideration when OEMs select the types of pads they do. Because of these experiences and a couple of fender benders that they might have avoided, I am now much more selective of the pads and disks for replacements.
All that being said I don't like grabby brakes either and just try and find the best combination I can for any particular vehicle to at least meet or hopefully exceed OEM braking. Meaning I don't spend crazy huge money on replacement brakes but no longer think buying one or two grades above the cheapest pads or skipping turning/replacing the rotors is acceptable. Tires also contribute much to avoiding accidents. Worn or old tires and so-so brakes are just inviting trouble.
My bottom line is don't skimp or put off replacing brakes and tires, your family and your insurance rates will benefit.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not looking to pick a fight with twanger and like he said "to each his own", just sharing my experience. I have found increased foot pressure is a safety issue especially with less experienced drivers and some ladies who don't realize the amount of leg pressure needed to effectively make an emergency stop in the shorted possible distance. They often don't press hard enough for threshold braking let alone hard enough to engage the anti-locks especially on dry pavement. Having taught 4 teenagers to drive and having a petite wife, I have seen this on multiple occasions were they just didn't press down hard enough and suspect this is a consideration when OEMs select the types of pads they do. Because of these experiences and a couple of fender benders that they might have avoided, I am now much more selective of the pads and disks for replacements.
All that being said I don't like grabby brakes either and just try and find the best combination I can for any particular vehicle to at least meet or hopefully exceed OEM braking. Meaning I don't spend crazy huge money on replacement brakes but no longer think buying one or two grades above the cheapest pads or skipping turning/replacing the rotors is acceptable. Tires also contribute much to avoiding accidents. Worn or old tires and so-so brakes are just inviting trouble.
My bottom line is don't skimp or put off replacing brakes and tires, your family and your insurance rates will benefit.
I've found that most of "foot pressure " has a bunch to do with the power assist provided by the booster and the vacuum it gets from the engine. Also the proportioning valve has a bit to say as well. Most OEM pads are crap imo. Although the ones of my current Expy are good.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've found that most of "foot pressure " has a bunch to do with the power assist provided by the booster and the vacuum it gets from the engine. Also the proportioning valve has a bit to say as well. Most OEM pads are crap imo. Although the ones of my current Expy are good.
To each his own. I hate any brake pad with high initial Bite, they will always fade when hot.
Braking performance is one, easily adjustable area you can gain, or loose performance on almost all vehicles.
The Z23 Power Stop pads I use on the Expy have low initial bite = on a cold morning, warm your brakes, or you might surprise your sphincter.
Example: Exit the highway, apply a little brake pressure, and as the temperature increase, so does the stopping/braking power = you have to let some pressure off the brake pedal, or you will stop way short of your goal.
I do not care about dusting (which I have very little) pad life, or rotor life. I do care about stopping 6000 lbs. in the absolute shortest distance possible, with Zero fade.
Brake pads are manufactured with an optimum operating temperature range. Below, or exceed that range and they will perform poorly, or fade
Low Temp range = high initial bite. High Temp range = low initial bite.
You can mix N match to fit your driving/braking style.
And Yes, Brake Pads can absolutely reduce, or increase your stopping distance. All pads do not stop in the same distance.
On our race cars, we can adjust the braking power needed by changing pad compounds, to match the drivers braking style, the track &/or race distances. You know you have it right when the rotors are glowing bright red, and you still have complete braking performance.
Stock Ford Expedition brake pads are very good, they simply do not provide what I want.
FYI - my kids hate driving my vehicles because of the increased braking performance, and always say, please Dad, factory brake pads only on my car, please.