Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mxer0022

Reaction score
How are you liking the drilled and slotted rotors? I put some slotted on our '16 and they are horribly loud. Like to the point that I ordered new brakes to replace them even though we should be getting our '22 in april.

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had them on for over a year now and like them. There quite & I never hear any noise from my brake setup. I wanted the ability to stop 6k lbs as fast as possible in an emergency or if a a$$-hat does crazy in my path.

lscrx

Reaction score
When I changed my OEM pads out at 33K the rear pads were almost gone. Fronts were not bad. When you search the auto websites the OEM pads for these are ceramic. I put semi-metallic pads all around at first but, had an issue with a stuck against the rotor always front inner pad & switched the fronts with ceramic. I am loving these Elite ceramic pads I picked up at auto zone. The rear semi-metallic pads are doing fine, just loads of brake dust.

I had purchased pads a few months ago, planning on replacing them when I rotated the tires... but AutoZone sent me the wrong parts (a deadbolt in place of the rear pads).

They eventually got me the right pads, but I already had it all back together by then so I put them off... too long. One of my rear pads wore past the pad material and started to chew the rotor :oops: The rear pads (that weren't completely missing) were all very worn, the front pads still had a lot of life left in them... but they (and their rotors) all got replaced anyways.

I ordered a new set of PowerStop rotors (blanks) and installed all the new stuff yesterday... stops great now! I probably looked like a lunatic breaking them in outside my neighborhood, per PowerStop I did a few dozen 30mph-5mph runs on my way to pick up dinner... at least that's done now.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had purchased pads a few months ago, planning on replacing them when I rotated the tires... but AutoZone sent me the wrong parts (a deadbolt in place of the rear pads).

They eventually got me the right pads, but I already had it all back together by then so I put them off... too long. One of my rear pads wore past the pad material and started to chew the rotor :oops: The rear pads (that weren't completely missing) were all very worn, the front pads still had a lot of life left in them... but they (and their rotors) all got replaced anyways.

I ordered a new set of PowerStop rotors (blanks) and installed all the new stuff yesterday... stops great now! I probably looked like a lunatic breaking them in outside my neighborhood, per PowerStop I did a few dozen 30mph-5mph runs on my way to pick up dinner... at least that's done now.
Why is it that most are finding heavy wear on the rears and not the front?

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
I'm at 30k miles and am starting to hear a squeak from what I think is the rear. Judging by what i've read here I suspect the rears are shot. For what its worth, my wife's Land Rover LR4 was the same way...always chewed through the rears before the front. Never made any sense to me but the rear pads were a lot smaller than the fronts, so that stands to reason.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of questions about why rears are wearing faster than fronts on these vehicles. Every vehicle/driver/route situation will be different; but, the traction assist and yaw control on these vehicles involves the rear brakes. My guess is that is a significant contributor to rear pad wear. Historically OEM's attempt to strike a wear balance between front and rear. My experience with Ford rear drive/4wd vehicles with traction assist and yaw control is that the rears go before the fronts. Some of the posts above talk about two footed drivers, implying that driving style may wear brakes faster; well, with traction assist and yaw control, the computer is two footing it for you on the rear wheels only.

Lots of plugs for Autozone Premium Ceramics on above posts. Add me to that list. I have them on my 2007 F150 and 2012 GT500, and love them. Both vehicles have cryo-cooled Centric rotors. The 2007 F150 went over 80,000 on the first set of Autozone Premium Ceramics. The second set has 60,000, the Rotors have 140,000 with one turning, still stops way better than when it was new. I would have never believed that kind of brake life possible on that truck with the people I have driving it.

lscrx

Reaction score
Lots of questions about why rears are wearing faster than fronts on these vehicles. Every vehicle/driver/route situation will be different; but, the traction assist and yaw control on these vehicles involves the rear brakes. My guess is that is a significant contributor to rear pad wear. Historically OEM's attempt to strike a wear balance between front and rear. My experience with Ford rear drive/4wd vehicles with traction assist and yaw control is that the rears go before the fronts. Some of the posts above talk about two footed drivers, implying that driving style may wear brakes faster; well, with traction assist and yaw control, the computer is two footing it for you on the rear wheels only.

Lots of plugs for Autozone Premium Ceramics on above posts. Add me to that list. I have them on my 2007 F150 and 2012 GT500, and love them. Both vehicles have cryo-cooled Centric rotors. The 2007 F150 went over 80,000 on the first set of Autozone Premium Ceramics. The second set has 60,000, the Rotors have 140,000 with one turning, still stops way better than when it was new. I would have never believed that kind of brake life possible on that truck with the people I have driving it.

I'd like to say that I don't activate the traction control or stability control very often... maybe the traction control a bit when it's damp outside. That said, my brakes already had almost 30k miles on them when I bought the Expedition... so who knows how it was driven previously? I guess I'll see how long these pads last, and since I do my own oil and tire rotations I'll be checking the pads with my pad-gauge every 5-10k miles... I definitely won't let them wear out to nothing like I did the last set! I'm thinking I may go ahead and order a new set of pads so that if I'm rotating the tires and they are in need I can just swap them out without delay.