4th gen power running board motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Reaction score
Ford Tech Makuloco on YouTube has a video about maintaining the running boards and getting them unstuck if they are stuck. He mentions in the video that more often than not the problem is just not enough lubrication on the hinges so the motor reaches its torque limit and then reverses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaAvrIoViK0

Mustangsally

Reaction score
Same problem on my F 150 Platinum and my wife's Expedition Limited. I watched the video above about lubing the hinges . Worked great. All boards are fast now and don't stop any more. I used PB blaster as a penetrant.

The Yeti

Reaction score
Running into this issue now on my 2018 Expedition. Hinges were supposedly lubed by dealer at each 5K service. Even with my feedback that boards occasionally stick and I thought there could be a bigger issue, the dealers said lubing was the only approach needed. Now at 45K mileage (and outside of warranty), dealer is saying motors need to be replaced at $1500 each. Not happy, but working with the dealer and Ford Corp to try for resolution. Just a point of caution for others still within warranty... Be sure to DOCUMENT every time you have hinges lubed and when you claim boards are not working correctly.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I turned my running boards off about a year ago. After many dealer lubing and cleaning, the motors finally "gave out" apparently and at about $1500 each to replace that was a no go. Plus I hate the look of powered running boards that are constantly in the out position. To me they are not as good looking as a fixed running board or step bar.

The Yeti

Reaction score
Running into this issue now on my 2018 Expedition. Hinges were supposedly lubed by dealer at each 5K service. Even with my feedback that boards occasionally stick and I thought there could be a bigger issue, the dealers said lubing was the only approach needed. Now at 45K mileage (and outside of warranty), dealer is saying motors need to be replaced at $1500 each. Not happy, but working with the dealer and Ford Corp to try for resolution. Just a point of caution for others still within warranty... Be sure to DOCUMENT every time you have hinges lubed and when you claim boards are not working correctly.
Update: Dealer worked with Ford Corp on my behalf and is offering to significantly offset the cost. I think the resolution is fair, so I'll be moving forward with the repair.

It sounds like an unfortunate design flaw. I wouldn't mind a fixed running board, but I do NOT want to leave these boards in the down position. Too many snag points when driving through hunting fields, etc. Better off removing them completely.

WrekEE

Reaction score
does anyone know if these are amp research? If so amp research uses electricstep.com as their parts dept. Maybe getting the parts through there are cheaper.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i believe they are Amp, comparing them to some of the aftermarket Amp products, on raptors and others, they seem pretty identical.