4x4 problem - 2000 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tHiBoB

Reaction score
4x4 problem - 2000 Expedition (Update 2014-02-06)

Hi everyone,

I'm new on the forum.I'm from Canada. I wil try to write as the best I can (french person). I made a lot of research for my problem on the forum before posting it.

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition XLT. I have three options for the 4x4 (A4WD, 4HI and 4LO). I have a 2012 Ford F-150 before that truck. I know how to engage and disaengage it.

When I put the truck in A4WD, I have no light in the dash (A4WD light). If I try it in the snow, i always still in 2WD. If I put the button into 4HI position, I hear a ''clicking sound'' that come from the dash. After 5-6 clik, the 4x4 light come on in the dash. If I put the truck in neutral and put the button into 4x4 Low Range position, I still here some clicking sound sometime but it doesn't engage. If I still the button into 4x4 Low Range and put the truck back into park and put back in neutral, i hear a noise from transfert case and 4x4 Low Range light up in the cluster. Sometimes, I have to turn of the truck and when i turn on, the 4x4 will engage.

I've read about same problem on the forum. From what i've read on the forum, it could be a bad transfert case motor, vaccuum leak or a bad solenoid. II put the truck onto the lift and check for all theses things. But, the 4x4 on my expedition are all electric, no vaccuum actuator on the differential and no solenoid in the cowl dash next to the battery.

What could me my problem ?

Thanks a lot to all of us.

Merry Christmas and happy new year

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

It could be in the electrical system connector not making good contact but from the sounds of it , it could be the shift motor I would start checking with the simple things and less costly items and then work towards the shift motor Check the connector under the truck where it connects to the transfer case use some contact cleaner and check all of the pins also get some noalox at Lowes, Home Depot on a elect supply house and put a little coating on the contacts of the connectors If you need elect. prints let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

tHiBoB

Reaction score
Other things I try is to disconnect the connector of the shift motor. All the contact was clean. No rush or corrosion.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks back that mine turned out to be simply, and least $, fuses.

Yup, fuses. Pulled everyone inside the driver's compartment box and under the hood. Inside were all fine, no sign of water intrusion from the "gemasode" described by leaking windshields. A few mega fuses under the hood looked suspect by a "white cakey coating" as they have never had to be removed for any reason since original purchase. Took the fine-tooth file to them, reinstalled and back in business.

Hope your situation is as easy.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
T

tHiBoB

Reaction score
I will recheck all of them. I made a rapid check with a test light to find defective one.

I doesn't cost a lot to recheck them. I will try this tonight.

OP
OP
T

tHiBoB

Reaction score
finally,

i check all the fuse. All of it are ok. I don't know what to try anymore.

B

bedrck46

check the brake position switch Just because you have brake lights doesn't mean the switch is ok as there are two circuits that go through that switch

B

bedrck46

there is not a light for A4WD only light is for 4H and 4L if you need elect prints for the AWD system let me know

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your ABS ok? Auto 4WD works in RWD until it detects loss of traction to the rear and then it engages the front. It uses the rear ABS speed sensor to detect loss of traction. I had auto 4WD issues as well when the rear speed sensor on my 2004 expy crapped out. Might be worth testing that your ABS engages or even testing the sensor with a multimeter.

BTW: Bienvenue to the forum! There are a bunch of us from Canada over here, including Quebec.

OP
OP
T

tHiBoB

Reaction score
Thanks Bertro. i'm from south shore of montreal.

I've found that the previous owner cut the ABS wire from the front wheel hub. I have the ABS light one. It could be my problem. If the ABS doesn't work, the A4WD doesn't engage.