5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

babycakes311

Reaction score
Compare this one on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Camshaf...dt-20&linkId=15610d5b655dac465cf5d2ef83c40d68

Looks like the same as the freedom racing kit you linked except for the crank position wheel unless I'm missing something else. $60 cheaper and free shipping. I can't imagine your crank position wheel would need replacing if you are just getting the startup rattle.

I'm pretty sure there are a few other things that are not in these kits. Like the VCT solenoids, crank pulley bolt, maybe valve cover gaskets?

My opinion on the oil pump would be to replace it. Especially if you plan to keep the Expedition long term. Very easy to replace when you are doing everything else.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I second the mellings replacement pump... I did this whole project on my 05 a few years before I traded her in. The factory oil pump is proven to flex under load and bleed off oil pressure between the casing and the back plate. It's a little tedious but you can get it off without dropping the pan. your oil pressure readings will likely read ok... I took the "while I'm in there" approach and changed it for peace of mind.

It's a good weekend job. Teardown on Friday after work, begin assembly Saturday morning and work till your shot. finish it up on Sunday. It's a VERY gratifying job to do when you hit the key and hear nothing but exhaust and injectors... good luck and please feel free to ask away!

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
150,000, and I hear you there. Lots of new EcoBoosts in the 4th gen section with the startup rattle. Ford calls it normal.

In the 2nd generation section of the Explorer Forum the guys used to call it the "Rattle-o-Death", lol!

It's amazing our Fords still have these issues when some other manufacturers have figured that stuff out decades ago. Calling it "normal" is like saying "cigarettes are healthy" back in the 1950's... it's normal until the engine grenades, 99% of the time past the warranty period!

:mad:

For anyone who's tensioners are not acting up yet (no rattle), I guess using high mileage oil would be a good idea in order to swell those tensioner seals a little bit and prevent them from cracking open and losing pressure when engine is off. If the seal is already shot, it's timing job time...

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another vote for the melling pump.

The original pump has an aluminum back plate that flexes above 2000rpm and bleeds oil pressure at like 2200 rpm and it only get worse from there.

The melling has a cast plate and doesn't bleed any oil till about 5500rpm.

I was shocked by how much fluid bypassed the stock pump, and I'm sure it was never intended but still worked and said roll with it.

Get the better pump

The other thing is, I'm all for original parts forna lot of things, cam phasers and vct solenoid absolutely. But I went with the melling timing set with cast iron ratcheting tensioner to make sure I never have to open it back up. From what I hear the factory parts have been improved with a recessed seal rather than the gasket that blows out (which is more likely your issue), but it's still a plastic non ratcheting tensioner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 2nd generation section of the Explorer Forum the guys used to call it the "Rattle-o-Death", lol!

It's amazing our Fords still have these issues when some other manufacturers have figured that stuff out decades ago. Calling it "normal" is like saying "cigarettes are healthy" back in the 1950's... it's normal until the engine grenades, 99% of the time past the warranty period!

:mad:

For anyone who's tensioners are not acting up yet (no rattle), I guess using high mileage oil would be a good idea in order to swell those tensioner seals a little bit and prevent them from cracking open and losing pressure when engine is off. If the seal is already shot, it's timing job time...

It’s totally random too. This morning I had no rattle on startup and sometimes it does. I have an ear for this stuff so after I heard it twice I got concerned, most people probably wouldn’t even notice. It’s only audible with the window/door open.

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s totally random too. This morning I had no rattle on startup and sometimes it does. I have an ear for this stuff so after I heard it twice I got concerned, most people probably wouldn’t even notice. It’s only audible with the window/door open.

This means it's probably only starting to go (tensioner seal). Maybe try 5W30 synthetic high mileage oil first? It could delay the repair a fair bit, perhaps.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just changed the oil this week with the usual 5W-30 Motorcraft and filter. I’d rather not use high mileage as it will swell seals elsewhere too. If you YouTube or google Ford startup rattle you will get a plethora of all the motors in a variety of vehicles. It seems they use (still) these plastic hydraulic failure prone tensioners in the overhead cam engines. I guess they work properly 95% of the time and are cost effective so they stay. It’s a case of the bean counter vs engineering.

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meh, I'm not really worried about high mileage oil having adverse effects. It doesn't really swell up the seals per se, it basically rejuvenates them and makes them more pliable and soft (because they harden and start leaking with age or severe use). 150,000 miles is definitely "high mileage" and hard seals are probably the source of your problem.

I've owned my recently sold 99 Explorer for 16 years and been using high mileage synthetic in it for the last 10 years as of 90,000 miles, on and off (depending on what good brand synthetic oil was on sale). It never leaked 1 drop of oil. I don't believe the myth that going back to regular oil for 1 or 2 changes will turn your engine into a sieve either, from personal experience. High mileage oil just keeps seals more in shape in an old engine, is my guess.

As I said, I'm not worried and my Expedition currently has a mix of high mileage and regular synthetic (matching 7 quarts of oil is a b*tch when you have different types of same grade oil lying around the garage, lol!). Next oil change it will get a diet of 100% high mileage variety, always synthetic... either Pennzoil, Mobil 1 or Castrol - in that order.

Finally, Motorcraft oil and filters are probably not the best in the long term. The filter, compared to premium synthetic fluid filters (Wix, Fram), is definitely on the el-cheapo side... I've recently bought 2 of them and they look like regular (non-synthetic) oil filters, plus their particle filtering rating is not high, to say the least. Actually, it's pretty much piss poor, lol! Made to have the truck only last the warranty is my guess...

(I'll probably never actually put them on the truck and they'll remain my "emergency oil filters")

Last edited: