5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Why hasn't anyone done real comparison testing on oil filters? The Internet's full of crap information about this vs. that but nowhere can I find true quantitative apple to apple data about filtering efficiency. Look at Fram's claim above. WTH does "99%+ filtration efficiency mean?" That it catches 99% of small flies?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JE....buddy, it honestly sounds to me like you might be jumping the gun. I know you like your track aces, but what about a bottle of Lucas and let God sort it out for now? The sound will stop, even after oil changes unless you really need to deal with something, then it will tell you so.

Just an idea.....

jeff

Train, you starting another oil/filter thread? OMG, take cover guys........lol

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
FWIW, I did my timing job at 96,000 as I knew what was coming if I waited... The Expedition is my wife's daily driver and we use it to transport my medically fragile son. As I need to count on it with 100% reliability, it helped me in deciding to fix it earlier rather then later. That and I was sick of it sounding like a diesel when it was hot. You're definitely going about it the right way. Change it all, take your time with it and enjoy the silence.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got through my second rebuild at 260K. Summit has the Melling High Volume oil pump for around $140. The 5.4 has a tendency to starve the PX side bank. I would replace the oil pump. Oil pressure and volume with be the thing that keeps the engine in good shape. You are this far into it and spending $140 on a good oil pump will pay dividends in the long run. You don't see the wear that is inside the pump, but at 150K you are down on pressure from the factory build. Low oil pressure will take out your cams. When you have the valve cover's off, check the cam lobes. If they small black lines around the lobe, your pressure is down.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it and value it. Rattled this morning so this stuff is not in my imagination....it’s going to make me cringe driving through the winter knowing this. Ah well at least everything in the short block isn’t effected by this timing set crap.

So I’m going to go with the Ford kit on amazon, and then order the oil pump as well. Hopefully the passenger camshaft and followers etc hold out for me fingers crossed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the noise a lot of the 2018+ expy owners have posted.....could this also be a hydraulic tensioner issue on the new models?

Here is a 2007 F-150 5.4 example of it pretty severe:

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to Makuloco on YouTube, the rattle should sound anywhere between 2 to 5 seconds after a few hours of engine being off when it's really "severe" and needs to be addressed.

These two examples don't sound too bad yet... (my guess)

That 2018 sounds much worse, though.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t get the freedom racing kit since the phasers have a tendency to malfunction and not hold timing. Get the kit on Amazon that FordTecMakULoco recommends. I have it, the Melling pump, and all the tools in my Amazon wish list for next spring.

Does anyone have a link to the Melling timing kit that was mentioned earlier in this thread?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t get the freedom racing kit since the phasers have a tendency to malfunction and not hold timing. Get the kit on Amazon that FordTecMakULoco recommends. I have it, the Melling pump, and all the tools in my Amazon wish list for next spring.

Does anyone have a link to the Melling timing kit that was mentioned earlier in this thread?

The freedom racing kit posted is all Ford oem. The Ford amazon deal provided by babycakes311 is $50 cheaper than freedom racing anyway however so that’s the winner.