5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOLY SH*T WHAT A DAY. So today the Starter crapped out, it only turns over after you hold the key 20+ seconds so the solenoid went out and isn’t pulling in.....so it starts and a roller follower collapsed and now massive ticking from under passenger valve train cover...the truck has forced my hand I have no choice but to start the timing job today and get a few roller follower from Ford......anyway doing new starter today and then timing job starts tomorrow.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HOLY SH*T WHAT A DAY. So today the Starter crapped out, it only turns over after you hold the key 20+ seconds so the solenoid went out and isn’t pulling in.....so it starts and a roller follower collapsed and now massive ticking from under passenger valve train cover...the truck has forced my hand I have no choice but to start the timing job today and get a few roller follower from Ford......anyway doing new starter today and then timing job starts tomorrow.
How many miles on it? At least you know how to get the starter out now. :waytogo:

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much more than mine and I know you take good care of it, that's scary.

Heck this truck has always been babied too.....the seats and interior aren’t even worn and it all still looks new lol!!!!

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
False alarm in collapsed lifter...I forgot to torque down the top bolt on the passenger down pipe (had mid pipe pipe out for converter) and it was leaking exhaust because the bolt vibrated loose.

Dealer won’t have new starter for me till tomorrow. I specifically want the older style production starter and not the “improved” one. I like the production one because they are much more loud/masculine sounding than the new style when they turn over for some reason.

Last edited:

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
False alarm in collapsed lifter...I forgot to torque down the top bolt on the passenger down pipe (had mid pipe pipe out for converter) and it was leaking exhaust because the bolt vibrated loose.

Dealer won’t have new starter for me till tomorrow. I specifically want the older style production starter and not the “improved” one. I like the production one because they are much more loud/masculine sounding than the new style when they turn over for some reason.

Lol I had the newer one put in. Now that I have the tensioners fixed...I LOVE how quietly she starts.
Does one last longer than the other I wonder?

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol I had the newer one put in. Now that I have the tensioners fixed...I LOVE how quietly she starts.
Does one last longer than the other I wonder?

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk I just remember I hated when my dad had the updated one put in his E-350 it was too quiet. I asked the dealer and they said they had the original as used in production starter or the improved A/M Ford retail spec one. I asked for the production spec because I like the extra noise.....hence I have to wait for it to come from warehouse lol

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Idk I just remember I hated when my dad had the updated one put in his E-350 it was too quiet. I asked the dealer and they said they had the original as used in production starter or the improved A/M Ford retail spec one. I asked for the production spec because I like the extra noise.....hence I have to wait for it to come from warehouse lol
I get it, I kinda' liked the old Mopar starters...…….lol

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planning to pull the front cover Monday and dive in now that I’ve recovered from the TC job lol. Not replacing camphasers since I have no codes or dieseling just going after the typical failure points of the tensioners, oil pump, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire