5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new tensioners have some serious spring power, I’m surprised they can’t hold the chain tight even when oil pressure leaks out. I took the retainer off the RH tensioner and could barely depress the arm enough to put the clip back on. The spring must wear out over time or something.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new tensioners have some serious spring power, I’m surprised they can’t hold the chain tight even when oil pressure leaks out. I took the retainer off the RH tensioner and could barely depress the arm enough to put the clip back on. The spring must wear out over time or something.
I doubt if the spring gets weaker but that shows you the job the tensioner does and adding more oil pressure on top of that with a Melling? (if they even add more pressure) Melling smelling. Lots of things on an engine are replaced without touching the pump. In all my years of being a mechanic I never had to replace an oil pump but now that it is more accessible and somebody makes one everyone is jumping on the Melling bandwagon. It's laughable to me, the most I would ever do is to check the oil pressure with a gauge.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With this shutdown in NY still going on I may start the timing job Monday after my online lectures. I have about 2 hours left on the job to get truck all back together from the torque converter replacement....might as well keep at it LOL.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With this shutdown in NY still going on I may start the timing job Monday after my online lectures. I have about 2 hours left on the job to get truck all back together from the torque converter replacement....might as well keep at it LOL.
Every business that is not really needed is shut down here in California and I am wondering if my barber is even open.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every business that is not really needed is shut down here in California and I am wondering if my barber is even open.

Likely not, here in NY barbers, salons, nails, all dining rooms, office jobs, any non essential are remote or off the table.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very likely not, salons and barbers were some of the first things shut down here in indiana aside from restraunts going carry out only. We have a most of "essential" business so long I'm surprised though. One of the local golf courses was absolutely packed on Wednesday and rush hour is still a thing.

I joked the other day about having long hair when I make it back to work because out of preparing for everything I co mo completely overlooked a haircut which was already due. 2 more weeks...at least.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very likely not, salons and barbers were some of the first things shut down here in indiana aside from restraunts going carry out only. We have a most of "essential" business so long I'm surprised though. One of the local golf courses was absolutely packed on Wednesday and rush hour is still a thing.

I joked the other day about having long hair when I make it back to work because out of preparing for everything I co mo completely overlooked a haircut which was already due. 2 more weeks...at least.
Yea, now that I am due for a haircut they closed the shop. :emotions122:

Plati

Reaction score
Just do what I did. Shaved my winter beard and didnt stop there - shaved the head.
Saved $20 which was (temporarily) invested in BEER.

They had a news release today that golf courses should be open this summer.
Makes sense to me, hopefully you can pay without a face to face in the Pro Shop.

I went out for my walk today and the first route takes me through the end of the Park behind my house, which is a dog park. Almost turned around to go home. 50 people there and the wind was blowing. Never seen in that busy. I just took a circuitous route trying to maintain distance from the dog owners. Normally pet the dogs, but not today. Aint touching nothin.

WAIT .... this has nothing to do with arguing about OIL PUMPS, lets get back to that!

Last edited:

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talked to my mechanic today (don’t the tensioners and oil pump on mine...as well as a lifter and roller).

He said it’s not just Ford he sees with cam phaser issues. He was saying the GM 4cyl come in all the time with same issue. He said sometimes changing the oil quiets them down...the way people neglect their engines these days.

Pretty interesting. I guess every make/model has its weaknesses.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talked to my mechanic today (don’t the tensioners and oil pump on mine...as well as a lifter and roller).

He said it’s not just Ford he sees with cam phaser issues. He was saying the GM 4cyl come in all the time with same issue. He said sometimes changing the oil quiets them down...the way people neglect their engines these days.

Pretty interesting. I guess every make/model has its weaknesses.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EVERY vehicle has weaknesses and most are caused by human error from engineers, they are smart but not that smart and some lack common sense also. When I changed the oil in my Excursion it did calm the tensioner problem down also.