5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone dropped the oil pan without removing the differential and axles? Ive heard you have to remove all that stuff. If I find any chunks are missing from the guides that is a must do.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Planning to pull the front cover Monday and dive in now that I’ve recovered from the TC job lol. Not replacing camphasers since I have no codes or dieseling just going after the typical failure points of the tensioners, oil pump, etc.
Don't forget to put a rag under the pump when you take it off and Maculoco used an 8mm? flexible gear wrench with a curved cat's paw held underneath for that one hard to get at pump bolt. I saw some online for a few bucks but probably would take too long to get. Some people drop the front of the pan but you don't need to. I used the old rubber face plate gasket on mine and it worked fine. I was thinking about using the hardening red Permatex # 1 on the tensioners for added insurance but haven't yet.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone dropped the oil pan without removing the differential and axles? Ive heard you have to remove all that stuff. If I find any chunks are missing from the guides that is a must do.
You don't need to drop the pan and I doubt if your guides are bad. Mine looked like new at over 200k miles and didn't eve bother to put the new ones in I got. You would have to block 90% of the pick-up screen for it not to work anyway. I saw one that affected the oil pressure but it was mostly ground metal from elsewhere blocking it. Do you have a real oil pressure gauge?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started tearing into the truck this morning, not looking forward to the power steering pump but beyond that looks straight forward.
9B963AFD-F2FF-4F0E-9F0D-882EF9C4AC4F.jpeg

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Started tearing into the truck this morning, not looking forward to the power steering pump but beyond that looks straight forward.
View attachment 35490
PS pump is easier than your starter was, it's just 3 bolts and then lay it aside. Orielly's etc loans the tool for the fan nut for free, lefty loosy. You can borrow the crank pully puller also if you don't have one, an impact wrench easier makes that easier too. I used my little 18V impact driver for the bolts and an electric 1/2" drive one for the pulley. It took me 18 hours total but I left the valve covers on.

Last edited:

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An air chisel on a wrench you dont care for is the absolute best way to remove that stupid fan clutch!

Dont pull the PS pully, i had the puller, and wrong installer. Thay made the job way longer, removing the 3 bolts that i had to anyways was way easier.

Bolting the pickup tube to the pump can be a pain, and very easy to start cross threaded.

Overall the job is not bad at all. Just take your time and be careful.

I removed everything on a saturday, installed everything on a sunday. Probably 10 hours total time spent on it. An extra 2 hours was wasted for store runs, the closest parts store is a 20min drive, one way.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An air chisel on a wrench you dont care for is the absolute best way to remove that stupid fan clutch!

Dont pull the PS pully, i had the puller, and wrong installer. Thay made the job way longer, removing the 3 bolts that i had to anyways was way easier.

Bolting the pickup tube to the pump can be a pain, and very easy to start cross threaded.

Overall the job is not bad at all. Just take your time and be careful.

I removed everything on a saturday, installed everything on a sunday. Probably 10 hours total time spent on it. An extra 2 hours was wasted for store runs, the closest parts store is a 20min drive, one way.
I was going to say air chisel but most people don't have a compressor and air hammer. There are other ways on u-tube also.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got everything out of the way this morning including fan shroud, coolant hose, fuse box, intake stuff, fan, vacuum reservoir, etc. At this point it’s time to get a puller for the crank pulley and I am ready to start getting inside the timing cover shortly. PS pump is being about the same difficulty as the starter was = PITA.

For now watched some YT tricks at getting the timing cover off without pulling valve covers off and just loosening them up. I’m installing new tensioners, guides, arms, and a new oil pump for good measure so it’s not getting the whole 9 yards. I’ve watched a bunch of videos where guys just went after the oil pump alone and it seems straight forward. The guides and arms as well as tensioners are super easy.....you install the tensioners to torque specs and pull the grenade pin and ready to go it seems. I have the special little ratcheting wrench for the oil pump too.

My biggest concern is knowing when I have oil pressure from the new pump (I.e how many times should I crank the engine with fuel pump fuse pulled?). Surely it’s not going to show any pressure on the gauge without it running so that is my only unknown at this point.

Last edited:

NobodySpecial

Reaction score
Got everything out of the way this morning including fan shroud, coolant hose, fuse box, intake stuff, fan, vacuum reservoir, etc. At this point it’s time to get a puller for the crank pulley and I am ready to start getting inside the timing cover shortly. PS pump is being about the same difficulty as the starter was = PITA.

For now watched some YT tricks at getting the timing cover off without pulling valve covers off and just loosening them up. I’m installing new tensioners, guides, arms, and a new oil pump for good measure so it’s not getting the whole 9 yards. I’ve watched a bunch of videos where guys just went after the oil pump alone and it seems straight forward. The guides and arms as well as tensioners are super easy.....you install the tensioners to torque specs and pull the grenade pin and ready to go it seems. I have the special little ratcheting wrench for the oil pump too.

My biggest concern is knowing when I have oil pressure from the new pump (I.e how many times should I crank the engine with fuel pump fuse pulled?). Surely it’s not going to show any pressure on the gauge without it running so that is my only unknown at this point.

To prime the oil pump, you'll need to disassemble the pump and put fresh engine oil into where the gerotor gear is. After the job is done and it's buttoned up, crank it for approx. 30 seconds or so until the OP gauge picks up (holding the accelerator to the floor keeps the engine from starting on the F-150s without needing to pull the fuse and Expedition may be the same but I cannot confirm it). The oil gauge should pick up in that amount of time and crank it for about 10-15 more seconds after the gauge picks up. Only takes 7 PSI to trigger the gauge.

Last edited: