6 month review, 18 Navigator VS 18 Expedition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off I know my Expedition has the sway bars updated, but I will say the Expedition drives, handles, rides 3X better than the Navigator does. The Navigators stock suspension settings (in normal mode) are extremely stiff and it actually wheel hops on cracks in the road because the suspension is so damn stiff. I've deathly afraid to add sway bars to it as it will get stiffer yet and be miserable to ride in.

Ride quality (both in normal modes), the Expedition rides tons better. You don't feel the seams, cracks, etc in the roads whereas the Navigator transfers EVERY one of those cracks thru the car and shakes and bounces etc. The Navigator with its factory sway bars sways all over the highway at higher speeds (just like my Expedition did before swapping the sway bars). I mean it just dances in the wind, you constantly have to play with the steering in the wind to keep it on your lane. My expedition lays on the road 3X as flat and doesn't dance around like the Lincoln does. The Expedition will take the same corner at 80 mph and feel better than the Navigator can at 60 mph. The Lincoln leans in the corners and makes you think you are going too fast where the Expedition lays flat in the corners and "hugs" the road. If there's a bump in a high speed corner, you need to hold onto the Lincoln whereas the Expedition just stays right on track and eats the bump. So honestly they aren't even in the same league in my opinion.... (yes my sway bars the answer, I know).

I’d say the ride quality in my expedition with CCD is pretty disappointing. I’m running stock 22’s with stock tires inflated to recommended 39 psi and I feel everything, little road imperfections, bumps, rough asphalt, etc. But, I’m coming from smaller luxury crossover and sedans so maybe I’m not used to the body on farm ride?

Its a used CPO 2019 with 27k miles so I would think it’s not busted in any way shape or form but who knows!

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d say the ride quality in my expedition with CCD is pretty disappointing. I’m running stock 22’s with stock tires inflated to recommended 39 psi and I feel everything, little road imperfections, bumps, rough asphalt, etc. But, I’m coming from smaller luxury crossover and sedans so maybe I’m not used to the body on farm ride?

Its a used CPO 2019 with 27k miles so I would think it’s not busted in any way shape or form but who knows!

I have the XLT with no CCD and 18" wheels. Smooth as silk. I have heard the larger wheels (less rubber/sidewall) make a huge difference. not so sure about CCD.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Not sure, but mine rides amazing. I just put 2,000 miles on it and theres absolutely no way we felt the road seams or anything like that in mine. The sway bars stiffened my suspension up a little, so it should ride stiffer than yours if anything. I'm running the factory tires simply because they are soooo quiet. They are useless in snow, but I've got better snow vehicles for snow days. Is yours a MAX? If not, it's possibly the shorter wheelbase and lighter weight not flexing the spring rates as well as the heavier max does...

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the XLT with no CCD and 18" wheels. Smooth as silk. I have heard the larger wheels (less rubber/sidewall) make a huge difference. not so sure about CCD.

Less sidewall definately hurts ride quality, but it helps stability. I like the stable feeling vs the sloppy sidewall of a smaller diameter wheel. My pickup slops around on its rubber because its on old 16" wheels and its very noticeable even tho they are Load Range E 10 ply tires. Just more rubber to move around.....

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Less sidewall definately hurts ride quality, but it helps stability. I like the stable feeling vs the sloppy sidewall of a smaller diameter wheel. .

Touche' there is definitely a trade off for most everything. I prefer the smooth ride and have not noticed any issues whatsoever with stability, but then again - I drive like an old man.....
Guess that is why we have so many options :)

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps it's perspective. The 22"/CCD Platinum is worlds smoother than both our old '16 explorer limited in terms of expansion joint absorption (less impact feel), while the long rental 2020 F150 sport seemed oversprung with offset of tall sidewall (felt the impacts, but much softer). I expect the expedition to still have more impact than a luxury CUV/passcar, as it needs to be able to handle higher loads, requiring higher spring rates.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure, but mine rides amazing. I just put 2,000 miles on it and theres absolutely no way we felt the road seams or anything like that in mine. The sway bars stiffened my suspension up a little, so it should ride stiffer than yours if anything. I'm running the factory tires simply because they are soooo quiet. They are useless in snow, but I've got better snow vehicles for snow days. Is yours a MAX? If not, it's possibly the shorter wheelbase and lighter weight not flexing the spring rates as well as the heavier max does...

mine is not a Max so yes, perhaps shorter wheelbase or whatnot is detrimental. It doesn’t seem like the bumps feel any different from Fromt to back so probably just me not being too familiar with body on frame ride quality?

I did notice my tires have a little more wear in the middle of the tread so I may run them a few PSI lower for 5-10k miles to even it out. Should help with ride quality a bit!

vincentrose

Reaction score
The Lincoln is just a little bit too classy for me, so for me the easy choice was the Ford, also on the 4WD version, on the Lincoln Navigator, you only get a 1 Speed Transfer Case, but on the Ford Expedition, you get a 2 Speed Transfer Case, so no 4X4 Low Option on the Lincoln. Glad I picked the Ford

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Lincoln is just a little bit too classy for me, so for me the easy choice was the Ford, also on the 4WD version, on the Lincoln Navigator, you only get a 1 Speed Transfer Case, but on the Ford Expedition, you get a 2 Speed Transfer Case, so no 4X4 Low Option on the Lincoln. Glad I picked the Ford

Thats another annoyance with the Lincoln. To put the Lincoln in 4x4, you need to spin that damn knob and watch the dash to see what mode you are going into without crashing. On my Ford I can just simply press the 4A button and put my eyes back on the road. I hate that stupid drive mode contraption on both vehicles... I never use it.