7.3L output guesses?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the 2020 MY coming fast and Fords new 7.3L V8 being the new engine for their all new power wagon competitor the Ford “Tremor” (A Raptorized Super Duty) rumors are buzzing about it. Most estimates are in the 430+ horsepower with torque at or around 550 lb ft....I wish they’d release the specs!!!

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m thinking, hearing, reading it will be close to 450hp and 500 ftlbs torque. Nothing real firm at this point on the internet.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford released it today

7.3L output: 430 Horsepower and 475 lb ft.

Good power. Interesting, notice it produces 400 lb ft at only 1,500 RPM! Ford stresses the durability of it.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the 2020 MY coming fast and Fords new 7.3L V8 being the new engine for their all new power wagon competitor the Ford “Tremor” (A Raptorized Super Duty) rumors are buzzing about it. Most estimates are in the 430+ horsepower with torque at or around 550 lb ft....I wish they’d release the specs!!!

Here is an interesting and factual article from the Detroit Free Press: https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...08/01/v-8-engine-ford-2020-pickup/1878556001/

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This engine is seriously de-tuned in stock form, but that’s what gives it the insane torque down low. If it had the same power density of the 6.2 it would be about 450 ponies and 500 lb ft, but it would be higher in the band. I get why Ford sacrificed peak numbers for the entire band to be better suited for hauling.

This engine would be a monster with hotter cams or direct injection. It’s running a lower compression ratio and port injection for serviceability and longevity for now. The new GM 6.6 gas is close in torque at 464 lb ft, but it’s strained harder to get it and uses direct injection.

Last edited:

Nightfire

Reaction score
This engine is seriously de-tuned in stock form, but that’s what gives it the insane torque down low. If it had the same power density of the 6.2 it would be about 450 ponies and 500 lb ft, but it would be higher in the band. I get why Ford sacrificed peak numbers for the entire band to be better suited for hauling.

This engine would be a monster with hotter cams or direct injection. It’s running a lower compression ratio and port injection for serviceability and longevity for now. The new GM 6.6 gas is close in torque at 464 lb ft, but it’s strained harder to get it and uses direct injection.

Power density can't really be compared to a sohc engine. The powertrain is suppose to be relatively light for the size. I couldn't get any info on the 7.3 compression ratio, but the GM 6.6 is 10.8:1 while the HD 6.0 GM workhorse was 9.7. I believe the 6.2 Ford is 9.8, which is also a tough motor for a sohc given its cast iron block.

I am glad Ford skipped the DI, cylinder deactivation, and other gizmos in the name of reliability.

Who else would love to see this engine in an Expedition or an all-new Excursion?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think this engine would work for an Expedition. Many Expeditions are used as daily drivers as well as tow vehicles and the MPG would be abysmal in that use case. This engine is designed to produce the best MPG at high loads, meaning frequent towing or hauling. I don't think Ford is going to put it any of their half-tons. I'm very happy with the 3.5 turbo. Only thing that would make it better is making it a PHEV.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think this engine would work for an Expedition. Many Expeditions are used as daily drivers as well as tow vehicles and the MPG would be abysmal in that use case. This engine is designed to produce the best MPG at high loads, meaning frequent towing or hauling. I don't think Ford is going to put it any of their half-tons. I'm very happy with the 3.5 turbo. Only thing that would make it better is making it a PHEV.

Why’s that? It would have less power than the GM 6.2, would it get worse gas mileage than a Denali or Escalade?

I think lots of folks would love a V8 in the expy and navi