87 octane vs 93 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Sea
I usually fill up at a Costco here in Mesa, AZ and the todays price was $1.58 regular and $1.88 Premium or 30 cents per gallon difference. Mine is only a 5.4L 3V but since I dropped a new ReMan engine, I thought I would up grade the gas to clean out the old injectors and I ran a bottle of Sea Foam through the tank as well. Really does run better on Premium and I have to admit that 30 cents a gallon or about $7.50 for a full tank is worth it to me. I like the performance.
Seafoam adds alcohol to the fuel. Not Good! Its for small engines.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually fill up at a Costco here in Mesa, AZ and the todays price was $1.58 regular and $1.88 Premium or 30 cents per gallon difference. Mine is only a 5.4L 3V but since I dropped a new ReMan engine, I thought I would up grade the gas to clean out the old injectors and I ran a bottle of Sea Foam through the tank as well. Really does run better on Premium and I have to admit that 30 cents a gallon or about $7.50 for a full tank is worth it to me. I like the performance.

Good morning
I live out in Tonopah, AZ
Prices out in my area run about $2.999 for regular & $3.399 for 91 octane premium
I think your prices for fuel must be in error
Are you sure it wasn't $2.88 for gasoline

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Filled up yesterday and the station was out of regular 87 so they were selling premium 91 at regular 87 price. WOOT!

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
So the last 6 fill ups have been 93 octane on my 3.5L EcoBoost van, here's what I noticed:

No noticeable difference in driveability unless towing, without a trailer it feels and accelerates the same, but with a 6500 lbs trailer it hauls ass off the line. Down side to that is the brakes cant keep up causing them to fade rapidly.

Also my MPG's dropped significantly, I went from 14.3 average (I calculate the milage manually) to 11.5

Finally the motor doesn't scream as loud at the top of the rev line like it did with 87 empty (no trailer)

Conclusion: I'm going back to 87 on next fill up, sadly the extra power while towing doesnt offset the mpg difference & even with having a WillowWood big brake kit it still proves too much for them reaching operating speed before slowing down again in city traffic vs with 87 I'm usually at half that speed by the next traffic light, the quietness of the motor is nice but I tend to keep it under 4k rpms so I always have boost anyways.

Maybe it'll act differently with the expedition/F150 crowd but my 2nd gen EcoBoost has showed me what it can & can't do with 93 octane in a 1,250 mile endurance test.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Octane boosters are hard on fuel systems, as well as the motor. No unfortunately you got to pay it forward if you want that extra oomph. Before Ww2, rumors had it that scientists and engineers couldn't come up with the formulas for extra octane needed to run high compression overhead valve engines. Before 1949 when the first Ohv Oldsmobiles, and Cadillacs started hitting the showrooms, compression ratios were low. 7.0 to 1 or lower was the norm out of Flathead Ford's, Packard's, Buicks, etc. The chemists seemed to hit their stride around 1946 or so, rumor has it. In the following 15 years or so, big Pontiacs, Ford's, and Chevy's, were putting out 11 to 12.1 compression ratios. I remember up untill around 1979 here in the Bay area, we had gas stations that were selling 102 octane fuel. Up till 1973 gas was .35 cents a gallon for premium. Who cared if your big block Mustang only got 7 mpg!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a big block mustang in today's gas prices even if it got 1 mpg!
If you do happen to get that bb stang I know where you can get some 100 octane for a mere $7.50 a gallon! Picture from earlier this year, so probably about $6.75 a gallon now.

5b2119658ec253e017d167219cbca684.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you in Arizona? We don't have any retail pumps with octane that high. I think the racetrack still has as we used to call it hi test fuel. $7.50 x 30 gallons for our sleds. $225.00 per fill up. Habbibie those Mach 1 429 big blocks are out there. About $100 grand will park one in your garage. My fav was the 71 in yellow.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Haha that's why I wouldn't mind one, a good investment on what seems like an appreciating piece of history.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you in Arizona? We don't have any retail pumps with octane that high.

I'm in Ohio, this station is in Lancaster. There are several stations that sale the race fuel but, usually closer to the drag strips.