'98 5.4 Engine "Rattle"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought my '98 XLT 4x4 the 3rd of this month. Didn't notice 'til a few days ago, but I get what sounds like faint lifter noise in the morning when I first start up. It quiets down, but I'd swear it sounds like I have a very, very muffled diesel under the hood. Are these engines prone to lifter/valve/cam noise? I just turned 80K and hoping that I'm not looking at engine problems down the road. I have a 3-month/4,000 mile powertrain warranty from the dealer...may have to use it.

Thoughts...?

Last edited:

dyurkosr

Reaction score
Ross, the 5.4 is not prone to engine noise. The only thing they are prone to is head gasket leaks (early models, yes like yours) I would have a fresh oil change with the proper weight and good quality filter. If the noise continues, take it back or have it checked by an independent dealer. Have him check for head gasket leaks (at the back of the head) too. Dan.

OP
OP
Silver Ex

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Dan. Where were the 5.4 Tritons built in 1998? Were they from the Windsor plant or the Romeo plant? I remember seeing that there were some TSBs about F150s that had a "piston slap" problem. And how can you tell in the VIN where the motor came from?

Another thought...could it be a water pump?

Last edited:

dyurkosr

Reaction score
Ross, I doubt if it's the water pump. As far as point of mfg, I would suggest pulling the VIN and call the local Ford parts dept. I'm sure they can tell you where it was made. I have an 01 and I get some ocassional noise on start up but it's usually on colder mornings and after it has been sitting for a few days. Dan

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate to say things contray to others, but the ford 5.4 to me is one of the most prone to start up noise that ford has ever made. I run an oil change facility, and after changing the oil an F-150, Expedition or Navigator soounds like its about to toss a rod for a few seconds. Now, I know that the sump has dried being empty, but on occasion my 98 Nav does the same thing in the driveway if not driven daily. So, unless it last signifigantly longer than 2 or 3 seconds, you have no worries

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Ex

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by stang99x
I hate to say things contray to others, but the ford 5.4 to me is one of the most prone to start up noise that ford has ever made. I run an oil change facility, and after changing the oil an F-150, Expedition or Navigator soounds like its about to toss a road for a few seconds. Now, I know that the sump has dried being empty, but on occasion my 98 Nav does the same thing in the driveway if not driven daily. So, unless it last signifigantly longer than 2 or 3 seconds, you have no worries

I just turned 80K...would you recommend going to a 10W-30 conventional oil instead of the 5W-30 spec'ed from Ford? I noticed that the rattle started after I had an oil change done with 5W-30 Valvoline blend at the local Ford dealership. That tells me that I may have a drop in oil pressure if the lifters are rattling. Could even be a weak oil pump. I plan on taking it in and having the oil pressure checked out.

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Pennzoil Synthetic 10W30 year round. Now, cost isn't really a factor to me, since I can let the company absorb the cost of the oil and filter, and do the labor myself or let one of my guys do it for me for brownie points. I will tell you though, when I got it the previous owner hadn't done the appropriate maintenence, and mine burns through about 2 quarts every 3000 miles. Some will tell you that makes for a serious issue, however, I just check it about 1500 miles in and add a quart. You never see it burn oil, it doesn't leak oil, and it runs like a champ (especially with a blower!) If you can't afford, or don't want to run full synthetic, you can try the new SUV oils, or a synthetic blend. The high mileage oil also has some good additives in it. The high mileage is kinda funny though, works wonders on some cars, and does nothing for others.

I started a Navigator/Expedition forum myself, trying to get the spread out population of expy/navi's into one place, come check it out. I'll be there at least once a day to answer questions.

http://navigatorfourms.7.forumer.com/index.php?sid=feac58167f145f0e8cfa341ac8e7dacf

OP
OP
Silver Ex

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It never applied to me until now, but who makes the SUV oils? I know I've seen TV commercials for them, but I can't remember who makes them.

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Practically everyone makes them now. Some time ago, pennzoil released them right at the same time as valvoline, and then everyone came out with one.

:troll: :shootout:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
stang99x
I run an oil change facility

then you know that Ford recomends 5w 20 which is a part syntetc