AC clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what vehicles would an AC clutch be able put on my AC compressor? Does it have to be the same size motor?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What matters is the shaft size, pulley size and number of grooves. The compressor model is used on multiple vehicles & brands. Look at the Expeditions and Ford trucks of you are hitting the junk yards.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whats it doing/not doing? Why are you replacing the clutch?If you have the issue of the AC running for awhile(say 20 to 40 minutes) and then it shuts off-or disengages the clutch from the compressor once it heats up... Loosen the center bolt, and pull the clutch out/off. You will see two washers behind the clutch, remove the thinnest one, which is about .040", and put it back together. Problem solved...I have done it to MANY cars/trucks/SUV's and not had to replace a clutch.

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not turning on at all. The clutch/compressor that is. We jumped the low pressure switch, harness side and it didn't kick in. Tested the harness with a test light and it is getting power. Unplugged the compressor and ran 12v directly to it via a wire directly from the battery to it as if we were going a bench test of it. The clutch didn't even click or anything to show it was locking/grabbing. Of course we did that test with the engine off. Just to see if the clutch itself was engaging in the first place.

Also, after jumping the low pressure switch harness, should we have had power to the harness in which plugs into the compressor? Or does it go somewhere else along the way and then gets the okay to send power down?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A resistance measurement with a meter will tell you if the coil in the clutch is bad. How many wires are in the plug at the compressor?

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it could still be what John is suggesting

while the engine is running and the AC is on try lightly tapping on the clutch face with a hammer or something similar, if it engages then you have too much clearance between the friction surfaces of the clutch discs

very common

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it could still be what John is suggesting

while the engine is running and the AC is on try lightly tapping on the clutch face with a hammer or something similar, if it engages then you have too much clearance between the friction surfaces of the clutch discs

very common

Will give this a go. Thanks

OP
OP
E

Enigma346

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post. But I wanted to double check. This is the low pressure switch right? I'm pointing at what I think it is. I found a diagram online and tried to follow it. IMG_20180503_070117.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360