Adaptive cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only time the brakes activate is if you get within a certain distance from the car in front of you. If you don’t have ACC on and you get within a certain distance (depending on your setting) the brakes will apply hard and your heads up display will activate.

Last edited:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought most of the slow down with adaptive cruise control was done by engine braking. If so, brake lights will not come on.

No different than not using adaptive cruise control and letting off the gas pedal to slow down.

At some point the driver behind you has to actually pay attention to their driving.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The brakes are on often on our Adaptive in our Flex's. Get a little close to any car and bang the brakes are on, follow too close, brakes.....

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Adaptive on my 2014 will dynamite the brakes and send you into the steering wheel if a car turns in front of you. I can't imagine this wouldn't. I shut all that off on mine.

Good explanation DeadHead...er I mean Deadman. Grateful Dead still in my head, sorry. Your mind and feet are still operating at 98 percent, while mine are probably at 80 percent. I have no choice but to leave mine on....and it has saved my *ss on two occasions. You don’t have to worry when you reach my age because you will be sitting facing backards and the cars will be hovering eight feet above the....whatever the roads will be called by then....if you go to Milwaukee look up my bud. His business addy is hotrodbuilders.com. His address will be on the website, tell him Bud from TN sent you and he’ll give you a tour of his business...

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the active cruise control is engaged, the truck will apply the brakes as needed and the brake lights will illuminate. I know this because I, too was curious. Then I figured out I can see my brake lights reflecting off the diamond plating on the front of my trailer. The trailer brake controller will also apply the trailer brakes in proportion to the amount of braking force being applied to the vehicle. You can observe on the towing information screen.

Regardless of whether or not the adaptive cruise control is active, the emergency brake assist will do the flashy red light on the dashboard thing and slam on the brakes for you if the truck thinks a forward collision is imminent.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was using Adaptive Cruise on the interstate during a traffic jam and it's nice for slow speed crawling. When it brought the vehicle to a complete stop, it asks you to push resume when traffic starts moving again. As I was waiting at a complete stop it kinda crept forward like it didn't keep enough pressure on the brake. However, after maybe a minute of being stopped, it deactivated cruise completely and turned on the parking brake.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was using Adaptive Cruise on the interstate during a traffic jam and it's nice for slow speed crawling. When it brought the vehicle to a complete stop, it asks you to push resume when traffic starts moving again. As I was waiting at a complete stop it kinda crept forward like it didn't keep enough pressure on the brake. However, after maybe a minute of being stopped, it deactivated cruise completely and turned on the parking brake.

Hence the nickname I gave my expedition and all newer vehicles, "Electronic nightmare"!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for another crazy quirk, Yesterday I was reading up on the fact that if you open the doors, the "Fake engine noises" shuts off, so I popped the door open a jar at about 5 mph and was ready to step on the gas and listen, but instead the F'd up computer threw it into park while it was still going 5 mph and basically tried to shear the "pin" off inside the transmission as it clicked and stripped to a stop. I funny understand that the door open at speed is bad, but I don't need it to tear up my transmission trying to babysit me, soooo stupid.
BTW when the engine sounds are OFF, it is SOOOO much quieter. I'm going to delete this stupid roar that they pump thru the speakers.

Regan DeMello

Reaction score
Acc has saved my butt. I like that it also pre-charges the brake system to give quicker reaction times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk