Adaptive cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amacron

Reaction score
this may be a stupid question. It here goes it.

When the adaptive cruise control applies the brakes. Does the brake light also come on? I’m assuming it does but I’m always in the car and can’t see if it does.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it doesn't, I would sure think thats a serious motor vehicle law broken!

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does. If the car applies the brakes, the brake lights come on.

jwas1

Reaction score
I thought most of the slow down with adaptive cruise control was done by engine braking. If so, brake lights will not come on.

Regan DeMello

Reaction score
I thought most of the slow down with adaptive cruise control was done by engine braking. If so, brake lights will not come on.

That is what I have read, transmission slow downs no brake light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is what I have read, transmission slow downs no brake light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Adaptive on my 2014 will dynamite the brakes and send you into the steering wheel if a car turns in front of you. I can't imagine this wouldn't. I shut all that off on mine.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Geesh, I don't believe my 17 has adaptive cruise control. What model is your 14?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Everyone above is correct - the Cruise will start by trying to use engine braking and dropping a few gears to achieve the necessary speed reduction, in which case there is no brake light. If the retardation required is more than that then the brakes will activate and the brake lights will always come on when the brakes are needed.

What's harder to identify from behind the wheel is which is which - a 2 gear downshift and lift off the throttle can feel like light braking, so it's hard in practice to know which is which

Mark