Add load leveling shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oakislandbum

Reaction score
I have searched this forum and others, and I see folks referencing this mod to add the nivomat load leveling shocks to the 3rd gen expedition, but I haven't seen anyone who has actually done it. I have '15 XLT 4WD with Max tow package and standard shocks. The truck sags with my 3500lb boat and 400lb tongue weight. Replaced Tues with Michelin E load rating. That made huge difference, but still need to reduce rear sagging. Looking for anyone who has made this conversion to nivomat school. Thanks!

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t bother messing around with retrofitting Nivomats onto your truck for what you’re talking about. You’d be better off installing an air lift kit/compressor/bags. The nivomats will level the truck with a load of baggage or other medium heavy stuff in the trunk but they do not prevent sagging under the weight you’re talking about. Take it from me. I have them and look:

f4dfb7f3847c86caec3b0043a7d3ecf4.jpg

They will never be able to do this:
c45dd0c8953333d22232ab977a66dbda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
O

Oakislandbum

Reaction score
Sounds great. What brand did you use? I cannot find any air bag kit for the third gen Expedition. The only suspension option I see is the Sumo helper spring.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never installed a set but I’m planning on it. I would check into air lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sagging under weight is spring rate and freshness/fatigue not load level

Also, LT tires? Shouldnt do anything whatsoever for sag

OP
OP
O

Oakislandbum

Reaction score
So basically there is no option for third gen to firm up the rear end? I have not found anyone who has made the conversion to load leveling shocks, and there are no production air bag kits made for this model. The tires with a heavier load rating did not do anything for sag, but it improved the stability of the vehicle significantly.

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out the Air Lift 1000 from SD Truck Springs. I have a 2010 Expedition, but I added it to my 2016 Grand Caravan to use it for a work van hauling tools and trailers. After a year of use I could not be happier. They let me carry lots of extra weight and keep it level by adding air at the Schrader valve I put near the hitch. You can air it back down when not needed.

$85 and about 1.5 hours is not much to invest. If you want to get fancy you can go so far as to install a compressor underneath with a switch and a guage inside the cabin, but I like the price savings. The kit is very universal and fits inside the coil springs with air lines running to wherever you want the valve.

I wouldn't hesitate to add the longer set to my Expedition if needed. People use these on RV's and larger trucks as well.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These won't work on the Expedition since it has struts front and rear. I had them on the back of my Ram though and they worked great.

Check out the Air Lift 1000 from SD Truck Springs. I have a 2010 Expedition, but I added it to my 2016 Grand Caravan to use it for a work van hauling tools and trailers. After a year of use I could not be happier. They let me carry lots of extra weight and keep it level by adding air at the Schrader valve I put near the hitch. You can air it back down when not needed.

$85 and about 1.5 hours is not much to invest. If you want to get fancy you can go so far as to install a compressor underneath with a switch and a guage inside the cabin, but I like the price savings. The kit is very universal and fits inside the coil springs with air lines running to wherever you want the valve.

I wouldn't hesitate to add the longer set to my Expedition if needed. People use these on RV's and larger trucks as well.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited: