Adding BLIS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every Limited I looked at both times we were looking had it. Honestly, I don’t remember one not having it. I understand it is possible not to have it on a limited, but at that price point most dealers checked the box.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My limited has it but it took the dealer a few days to locate one that did. My wife was adamant that the truck have this thing. Personally don't find it all that useful as you don't get an audio warning or flashing light on the dash if you attempt to change lane when another vehicle is present.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My limited has it but it took the dealer a few days to locate one that did. My wife was adamant that the truck have this thing. Personally don't find it all that useful as you don't get an audio warning or flashing light on the dash if you attempt to change lane when another vehicle is present.

I looked and looked for a Limited that had it. We bought ours used in 2017 (It's a 2016) and all I could find were Black and White trucks and no BLIS. And Limited's were rare, mostly XLT but we wanted Push Button Start so we had to find a Limited.

BlackedOutMax

Reaction score
What do you mean 18's don't have it. Sv4D0u2.png
Idk. Maybe not every model? You’re probably not going to be able to do it regardless. And if you can, you’ll probably spend an arm and a leg to get a finished product that’s poor quality

BlackedOutMax

Reaction score
I looked and looked for a Limited that had it. We bought ours used in 2017 (It's a 2016) and all I could find were Black and White trucks and no BLIS. And Limited's were rare, mostly XLT but we wanted Push Button Start so we had to find a Limited.
You might as well just trade it in for a 16 Thts got it already. You’ll need a new bumper, sensors, mirrors, wiring. A lot of work just for a light to come on when a car is near you and hear some beeping noises

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s a part of the parking sensors

Wiring manual shows Parking Aid is a completely separate system.

You’ll need a new bumper, sensors, mirrors, wiring.

I seriously doubt you need a new bumper. There's no listing of parts that show a different bumper with and without BLIS. The system really is just the rear SOD module sending a signal and activating the LED in the mirror. Still not sure how the center rearview mirror is part of the system. But, yeah, you would need to replace your side mirrors, maybe the inside rearview mirror, and install the two rear SOD modules plus wiring. It's been done in the F150 more than once.

Most people do this sort of thing by replacing entire wiring harnesses to get the connections needed. That is really an unnecessary expense. Running new wires to the rear for the new module might be more practical. As long as you can get a connector(s) with pigtail for each module, you can make your own harness for considerably less money.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wiring manual shows Parking Aid is a completely separate system.

I seriously doubt you need a new bumper. There's no listing of parts that show a different bumper with and without BLIS. The system really is just the rear SOD module sending a signal and activating the LED in the mirror. Still not sure how the center rearview mirror is part of the system. But, yeah, you would need to replace your side mirrors, maybe the inside rearview mirror, and install the two rear SOD modules plus wiring. It's been done in the F150 more than once.

Most people do this sort of thing by replacing entire wiring harnesses to get the connections needed. That is really an unnecessary expense. Running new wires to the rear for the new module might be more practical. As long as you can get a connector(s) with pigtail for each module, you can make your own harness for considerably less money.

This isn't a need, just wondering if it's something simple. I have the powerfold mirrors, heated, etc so is there a different wiring harness for the ones with BLIS vs the ones without BLIS? I read on an F150 forum that all the trucks no matter what the model is have 2 different wiring harnesses so sometimes all the wiring is there just need to actual hardware and programming to get stuff to work.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect the powerfold mirrors use the same connector (C516, C622), but with pin 6 missing for the BLIS LED connection. You would need to get a spare connector/pigtail, or locate a Ford wiring kit that has the same pins, and then replace the glass with that used with BLIS and, of course, get hold of the LEDs. Those are a separate part with their own connector (C576). Note that this connector MUST be present inside your existing mirrors or you will need to add wiring for that as well.

It appears the BLIS LEDs are fed by pin 6 (from the SOD module) but get their ground from the Electrochromic Mirror circuit that is controlled by the inside rearview mirror. That appears to be why the inside rearview mirror is part of the circuit. If I'm right, there would be no need to replace the inside rearview mirror when adding BLIS -- just tap into the wire at pin 15 of C911.

So, I would not call this a "simple" upgrade but it's probably not as complicated as something like adding a heated steering wheel. Once the mirrors are configured for the LEDs (i.e. either swap the mirrors or replace the glass and install the LEDs), then you need to run a wire from each mirror to the inside rearview mirror, obtain and install the SOD modules (left and right) with all needed brackets and hardware, and run wires from each mirror back to the corresponding SOD module.

After that, there will inevitably be some FORScan program tweaks needed to "activate" the BLIS system and enable the controls in the instrument cluster to turn it on/off, etc.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect the powerfold mirrors use the same connector (C516, C622), but with pin 6 missing for the BLIS LED connection. You would need to get a spare connector/pigtail, or locate a Ford wiring kit that has the same pins, and then replace the glass with that used with BLIS and, of course, get hold of the LEDs. Those are a separate part with their own connector (C576). Note that this connector MUST be present inside your existing mirrors or you will need to add wiring for that as well.

It appears the BLIS LEDs are fed by pin 6 (from the SOD module) but get their ground from the Electrochromic Mirror circuit that is controlled by the inside rearview mirror. That appears to be why the inside rearview mirror is part of the circuit. If I'm right, there would be no need to replace the inside rearview mirror when adding BLIS -- just tap into the wire at pin 15 of C911.

So, I would not call this a "simple" upgrade but it's probably not as complicated as something like adding a heated steering wheel. Once the mirrors are configured for the LEDs (i.e. either swap the mirrors or replace the glass and install the LEDs), then you need to run a wire from each mirror to the inside rearview mirror, obtain and install the SOD modules (left and right) with all needed brackets and hardware, and run wires from each mirror back to the corresponding SOD module.

After that, there will inevitably be some FORScan program tweaks needed to "activate" the BLIS system and enable the controls in the instrument cluster to turn it on/off, etc.

Wow dude. You're awesome. Love guys like you that have so much knowledge to lend.