Advantages of a 2012 over a 2008?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK gang, I have a 2008 EB standard length, 4x4, with 154k on the clock. A dealer local to me has a 2012 EL, Limited, 4x4, with 131k on it. He's asking $17,900.

Assuming I could make it happen financially, if I were to upgrade to the newer rig, what all advantages would there be?

I know that the EL and the Limited trim are already a big jump, just wondering about mechanical betterments, better infotainment, etc.

Your comments are appreciated.

Edit: He'd allow me $5500, give or take, for my old rig. What do you guys think of these figures?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is that the white one over at Inman? Looks like a nice truck, but a foot of extra room, a few creature comforts, and 23K less miles is not worth $12K to me.

He isn't terrible on either his price for the 2012 or your $5500 trade allowance, I just can't see a $12K advantage between the two. If you judge by mileage alone, the 2012 is more used than yours. I'd keep the 08 and not give it a second thought.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it is. We do like the fact that it is all one color. Ours, being an Eddie Bauer, has the two-tone paint option, which isn't a real favorite with my wife or myself.

I am finding, though, the more I look at used Expys online, that ours is actually fairly low miles, for an 08.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also found one with 117k miles for a few less dollars, and silver instead of white, but it's 3+ hours away.....

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can easily have your 08 beige trim painted body color. The lower body panels won't require blending onto the doors, the wheel arches pop right off, and simply have both bumpers completely refinished. $1500 to $2K seems like a reasonable ballpark to me to get the monochromatic look.

If I had a EB I'd probably repaint the lower beige with Ford's Caribu found on newer King Ranch editions. Its a darker brown, still tu-tone - but updated. To each his own.

Both have the same 5.4L but the '12 will have 10 more HP and be E85 flex fuel compatible. Plugs on 12 are the ones to have but a non-issue for your 08 at your current mileage. Issues with VCT solenoids ironed out on '12.

Your current 6-speed is a 6R75 and the 2012 will have 6-speed 6R80. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages to one versus the other, but not sure that they mean much to the average joe.

I can't speak to any significant drive train improvements.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I've changed the plugs on mine and wasn't an issue. I have thought about having it painted one color.

The trans on mine does have the funny 1-2 and 2-1 shift. I think there's a TSB dealing with that, something about a reflash IIRC.

Thanks for your input

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In terms of trim and options, the EB is pretty well loaded. It became the "XLT Premium" in later years. I don't have a '12 brochure handy, but I do have a '13. The Limited comes standard with just about every option except moonroof, power running boards and navigation. Those are available either separately or as part of a package (Equipment Group 301A which also includes Premium Sound with 10-GB harddrive, HD radio, and satellite radio).

4WD is optional along with 20 inch wheels, 2nd-row bucket seats with armrests, remote start, load-leveling rear suspension and DVD headrests.

What the Limited has standard that the EB/XLT Premium does not are heavy-duty trailer tow, heated/cooled 10-way power front seats, heated 2nd row outboard seats, some extra chrome trim, different headlights, special interior fake wood grain, and outside mirrors that include power folding and auto dimming. Some of this equipment was optional on EB/XLT Premium.

Also note that in 2009 Ford completely changed their heated/cooled seats from electric heat/fan cool to TED units that handle both heating and cooling. These are much more efficient and work a lot better than older models IMO.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've changed the plugs on mine and wasn't an issue. I have thought about having it painted one color.

The trans on mine does have the funny 1-2 and 2-1 shift. I think there's a TSB dealing with that, something about a reflash IIRC.

Thanks for your input

My trucks always had that 1-2 and 2-1 issue, it's always been the same and hasn't really changed. It's less harsh since I had the trans fluid and filter changed but ultimately is still there as it's embedded in the programming.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, a couple days later, the 2012 was sold.

Guess it wasn't meant to be.

Part of the money issue is, we are still paying on the one we have. Didn't really help the feasibility issue....

Next time.

limitedex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, a couple days later, the 2012 was sold.

Guess it wasn't meant to be.

Part of the money issue is, we are still paying on the one we have. Didn't really help the feasibility issue....

Next time.

No way I would have traded for that price difference. Sorry.