Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kd5jnx

Reaction score
2008 Rear Air Suspension converted

Just to chime in on this discussion. I just finished getting rid of the rear air suspension in my 2008 Expy EL Limited 4WD and it was easy as pie. I went with the Rancho Quick Lift assemblies and even though it states it will lift 3/4", I dont really notice that. It will be interesting to see how well the adjustments work when I have to pull a trailer. Taking it on a short test drive after I finished the ride felt great, I have them set at position 4 on the damping control for regular driving.

Now the only thing I have left is getting rid of the message about the air suspension being off.

I did a lot of research before going with this solution and this sticky was a great help, Thanks.

steveski

Reaction score
2008 king ranch lift and air swap

I have been looking all over for a thread on 2008 king ranch lifts. this was by far the most comprehensive. Unfortunately it was geared toward the older models. My expo has rear air bags not front. So i checked out strutmasters they have a complete kit for $677 or the rears only for $499. My main objective is to install a leveling kit so i can get new tires and rims. The King Ranch rims are fugly.

The questions I have are
1) do i need to convert the rear air suspension to use the above kit?
2) are there any other rear kits that give you more bang for the buck?
3) has anyone done this if so what size tires fit? I would like to put on some nitto dune grapplers LT305/70R17 E125R .
4) has anyone figured out how to bypass the suspension warnings?

Thanks

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I'd rather add to this thread than start a new one that's probably going to repeat , but can you not just use strut assemblies from a non air bag Expy to replace a bagged one? And would this option also work on a Navigator?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I'd rather add to this thread than start a new one that's probably going to repeat , but can you not just use strut assemblies from a non air bag Expy to replace a bagged one? And would this option also work on a Navigator?

Not sure what they look like on 2nd gens, but on the 1st gens the shock mount is much higher on an air bag expy compared to non-air bag. I have seen people using mid-70's Bronco shocks in order to make up for the difference in mounting height.

Like I said though, that is 1st gen, and that has no bearing on 2nd gen design. Just a possibility.

steveski

Reaction score
rear caster and camber adjustment after air conversion and lift.

Hi,
I recently installed a strutmaster kit and added a 3" front and 2 1/2" strut rear lift. the rear lift changed caster about 3/4 inch forward. Is there a way to adjust the caster without affecting the camber on the 2008 expo? I recall other fords have indexed bushings which can be removed and rotated. Is this true for my vehicle? or do i need to buy new bushings. would like a heads up before taking it in for alignment. If i need new bushings do you know what degree of caster i will need?

Thanks

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air Suspension Conversion

I just had my suspension converted on my '99 Navigator. I ordered the Monroe 90010 kit from Amazon and had my mechanic install it. I opted for the Expedition kit because I had read that the kit specified for the Navi left the truck lower than stock ride height with the air suspension, and that the converted rear height was a little lower than the front. I didn't want to look like I was sagging in the rear, so I went with the Expy kit.

I'm really glad that I did. At first look, the rear sets higher than the front. I like the rake it has now. And the ride is smoother than it ever was, even when the air suspension was still working. For the money ($255 for the kit on Amazon, with expedited shipping) it was a great value...well worth the research I did both for the correct kit from Monroe and choosing the Monroe kit over the Strutmaster kit. My mechanic charged me for 4 hours (but his shop rate is only $65/hr), so his portion was $260. $515 for the total conversion...score! I've only had the truck since noon yesterday, but drove around town for errands, etc. for almost 4 hours. I'm so happy with the results of the conversion and the fact that I'll never have to mess with the air suspension ever again. I've been off the forum for a long time, but viewing posts of how other members used the Monroe kits really helped me with my final decision.

Attachments

• Truck Before.jpg
    Truck Before.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Truck After.jpg
    Truck After.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 282

wmdspalmer

Reaction score
I completed the conversion to my 01 EB 4x4 this weekend. I installed the 90010 kit from Rock Auto. Process was very easy and the video helped for sure. Now I don't have to hear that stupid compressor kick on anymore!

Did anyone notice that it is a little harder to turn now that you converted to conventional from air ride?

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Steering effort after suspension conversion

Did you replace the necessary fuses and turn the suspension back on after installing the conversion? Even though the air system is no more, there is a function related to the speed sensitive steering, I believe through the ECM, that requires the air suspension to be activated. The system allows for less wheel effort at full stop or low speeds, thereby giving more direct response, but lowers sensitivity and response at high speeds to prohibit over-correction and whatnot...at least what I'd read.

It seems to be valid, though. Before I had my conversion done, I had deactivated the air ride. I didn't really pay that much attention to the steering. But after the conversion with the system re-activated, I did notice that the low speed steering was definately much easier than before.

Good luck!

Last edited:

wmdspalmer

Reaction score
I didn't replace any fuses. I don't think any blew? I didn't turn the system back on but will do that. What fuses should I replace?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire