Alternator question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok... whats the difference between the alternator for an Expy with or without the navigation system? I see the one without is 110 amp and the other is 135 amp. Mine doesnt have the navigation system, but would rather have the 135 amp for $20 more... is there any connection difference? Not trying to be a moron, just making sure. Thank you!

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it 4.6 vs 5.4 or it might be base on how many options u have...digital climate...moon roof...power rear windows...power fold down seats...etc...I had the 130 in my 5.4

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go with higher if ur replacing...of buy high output alt

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on trim level. The Eddie Bauer has a bigger alternator than the XLT, and the Limited and King Ranch, as well as Eddie Bauer with the Navigation option has an even bigger alternator.

I think it's 110A for standard, 130A for EB and 150A for EB w/navigation and Limited/King Ranch.

If you're buying a new alternator, just get the bigger one. They are interchangeable

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is so the pcm can let the alternator freewheel when it is not needed. Just something else to go wrong as it ages.

DJ04

Reaction score
Depends on trim level. The Eddie Bauer has a bigger alternator than the XLT, and the Limited and King Ranch, as well as Eddie Bauer with the Navigation option has an even bigger alternator.

I think it's 110A for standard, 130A for EB and 150A for EB w/navigation and Limited/King Ranch.

If you're buying a new alternator, just get the bigger one. They are interchangeable
I know it's years later but I have found no confirmation of the different amperage ratings for the alternators, not from Ford certainly. I have a 2004 Expy Eddie Baier with factory Nav, sunroof, 4WD the whole shebang. I bought it used in good shape and am having charging system issues. Some say it is because i don't have the correct amp alternator. What do you think?

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it to O'Reilley's or Auto Zone and have them test the charging system. They will do it for free. After 8 years, maybe you just need a new alternator or battery.