Aluminum Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I searched for this topic and it got zero results but maybe I did something wrong so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed.

Do they make aluminum drive shafts for the 4th gen and is it worth it like it is on mustangs?

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt its worth it. Ford is pretty good at choosing the right driveshafts in general. My Ford E350 has an aluminum for some reason. I do not know the what is in the 4th Gen Expys. Aluminum has its issues. There is a recent recall with Ford recalling 250K 250's and some 188k F150 for fracturing aluminum drive shafts. The heat shields came loose and rub on the driveshaft causing some wear and with Aluminum this leads to head build and fracturing. Steel would not have this issue.

If they put Aluminum in the F150s I would image the Expys have them also. Just a guess.

I personally would not waste time and money on something like drive shafts unless you are a hard core off roader.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the goal of the upgrade? Tune is definitely the best bang for the buck for acceleration in this powertrain.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO alum is better than steel, the cost per gain will be minimal in the Expy.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you are trying to shave off maybe half of a second at the strip then I dont aee the need to buy and install an alu driveshaft

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Carbon fiber would be best, and it wouldn't be close to .5s in the quarter. A tune would provide far more cost benefit in a power increase.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, no way you shave .5 sec by changing to aluminum drive shaft.

From discussion on the subject on a drag racing site.

Drive Shaft Example

Now let's think about a drive shaft. The driveshaft is a fairly thin hollow tube. Nearly all drive shaft weight is at the outside, since it is (of course) hollow. The shaft also turns at the same RPM no matter what the driveshaft diameter, because the RPM is set by the rear end ratio, tire diameter, and vehicle speed. If we make a driveshaft lighter and keep everything else the same, the vehicle acceleration change is often insignificant.

Why would it be insignificant in most cases?

In the first place, the drive shaft is small in diameter. With a small diameter, less energy is stored for a given weight. In the second place, a driveshaft is really not that heavy. A steel Mustang driveshaft weighs somewhere around 30 pounds, so we just can't take that much weight out.

Also, the driveshaft spins up gradually and smoothly over a long period of time. It accelerates fastest at slowest speeds, and that is when it needs the least energy to spin up. Because it has a long time to spin up, is a small diameter, and because it does not weigh much, the driveshaft does not remove very much horsepower at any instant of time. Despite what we are told, a change in driveshaft weight has, at best, a very small effect on acceleration. Likely any change is immeasurable in a street/strip car.

Now a lighter shaft certainly can help in a very light vehicle. It can also help in a road race car (as will a light crank and flywheel), because road racing requires instantly changing from acceleration to deceleration.

A light driveshaft won't change anything significant or measureable in a 3000-pound 11-second car, except how fast dollars leave your wallet!

Another worry is driveshaft diameter. If we go from a 30-pound 3-inch steel driveshaft to a 30-pound 3.5-inch aluminum shaft, we move the weight out 3.5/3 = 1.167 times. That increases stored energy 1.167^2 times, or 1.36 times. If we store 0.3 horsepower in the shaft, changing the diameter will increase that to 0.4 horsepower. We would have to reduce weight 14.3% to 25.7 pounds just to break even with the diameter increase.

The worst thing about a driveshaft is the diameter is so small, and the acceleration time is so long, there just isn't much horsepower being sapped from the system. A typical steel driveshaft in a typical 12 or 13 second car only stores an average of about 1/4 horsepower. If we got 100% of that back with a zero weight shaft, we would never notice it.

Good reasons to change a driveshaft are to get rid of vibration and harmonic resonances in the shaft, to make it stronger, or to simplify a two-piece driveshaft system. The silliest reason is to speed the car up. Even if we only pay $100 for a shaft, it would typically be much less than 1/4-horsepower average gain. That would be paying much more than 100/.25 = $400 per horsepower. Paying a lot more than $400 per horsepower is not a good investment.

Last edited: