Am i towing too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

upongame

Reaction score
OK read up what it was,
But i am still curious why it would be better then chip? that just changes shifting points, doesn't chip do same by the ecu and it uses the motors full potential...?

Last edited:

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK read up what it was,
But i am still curious why it would be better then chip? that just changes shifting points, doesn't chip do same by the ecu and it uses the motors full potential...?

Its my preference over the tuner, I like the mechanical change better then raising line pressure. Either way you go its going to be great!

uhaul

Reaction score
If you can stop it, then its not too much. (you obviously got it rolling ok):badidea: Just Kidding.

uhaul

Reaction score
Looking at picture of trailer, check to make sure all the stuff you put in there is balanced near axles, too much tongue weight or negative tongue weight = SAG or WAG , this effects handling of vehicle more than anything else, and your truck should have no trouble pulling it, these trucks are tough.

hautevue

Reaction score
Your photo makes it look like you have a really heavy tongue weight. I suggest you go to professional truck scales and weigh everything--trailer, truck, and then put the trailer wheels on ground and weigh just the weight on the tongue. That plus the mandatory door sticker will help you learn if you are overloading your TV. Remember to add to the truck weight the people--four can easily hit 600 - 700 pounds. Make sure the TV is not overloaded.

As for a tranny cooler, my Expy is 2008 and has the factory tow package and a tranny cooler is included. Perhaps that was not standard in 1999. If you have the 7 pin plug in the back near the hitch, you probably have the tow package.

But you "fer sure" want a weight distribution hitch , with either a friction sway bar(s) or equalizer bars. That front end lift in your photo is revealing--too much weight on the hitch, I think.

dougmcp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the photo it appears as if you need a drop hitch.
The rear of the truck is down and the trailer tongue is still up.
IMO, trying to hold 65mph on a 6K incline is a bit optimistic.

OP
OP
U

upongame

Reaction score
Do they make "stiffer/Heavy Duty" springs for the rear?
I have the 99 eddie bauer xlt with 7 pin and hitch that states 8k and 800 tounge weight so i dont think i'm that close at all, but who knows hopefully i do have the tranny cooler, i'm a month out from its madien voyage and haven't upgraded what i've wanted too...Hope she holds up....

03blkstanggt

Full Access Members
Reaction score

only thing i did was add a trailer brake. i have stabilizer bars too. ive got a bullydog tuner telling me that my trans temps get up to about 180 in the 100 degree weather while towing on an incline but other than that its fine. im pulling close to 8.5k pounds when its loaded.

OP
OP
U

upongame

Reaction score

only thing i did was add a trailer brake. i have stabilizer bars too. ive got a bullydog tuner telling me that my trans temps get up to about 180 in the 100 degree weather while towing on an incline but other than that its fine. im pulling close to 8.5k pounds when its loaded.

I like it, i'm too close to its maden voyage so its staying stock, has trailer brake, i'll move weight off tounge to help it out and will f/u with how it does.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett