Another Cam phaser question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, I took my 18 in for oil yesterday. Dealer said it was best to wait on the Cam recall. That there is a new update coming soon that will resolve it. Doing the recall now is sometimes causing more issue than its worth. Best to wait, they said.

Eric_B

Reaction score
That's disheartening to hear about your dealership. How can some dealers deny and others don't balk at all?

I bought my 2018 used this summer. I brought it in last week for the "diesel start-up" and told the adviser the cam phaser issue was here at 37k miles. He took it in and did the software update.

When I picked it up and did the cold start myself, there was my "diesel start-up" still. I walked back to my advisor and gave him the keys. They replaced the cam phasers. No squabbling, no BS.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's disheartening to hear about your dealership. How can some dealers deny and others don't balk at all?

I bought my 2018 used this summer. I brought it in last week for the "diesel start-up" and told the adviser the cam phaser issue was here at 37k miles. He took it in and did the software update.

When I picked it up and did the cold start myself, there was my "diesel start-up" still. I walked back to my advisor and gave him the keys. They replaced the cam phasers. No squabbling, no BS.
Nice! Make the Dealership perform. Shoot us an update after you get it back please.

GenSuper

Reaction score
There are two recent Field Service Actions for your vehicle. I also have a 2019 Expedition with 28K on it. No problem with my dealer fixing the cam phaser issue previously but the two reprograms that they are doing are: 21B10 - Powertrain Control Module Reprogram For Cam Phase Rattle and 21N08 - PCM Reprogram Due To Engine Shudder. I have scheduled with my dealer to perform the reprograms…good luck

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two recent Field Service Actions for your vehicle. I also have a 2019 Expedition with 28K on it. No problem with my dealer fixing the cam phaser issue previously but the two reprograms that they are doing are: 21B10 - Powertrain Control Module Reprogram For Cam Phase Rattle and 21N08 - PCM Reprogram Due To Engine Shudder. I have scheduled with my dealer to perform the reprograms…good luck
My dealer did only the first one and reported "no shudder found" so they didn't do the second. I understood that the second is only applied if shudder is felt. I would appreciate it if you can confirm this after your service visit.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same notices on my Ford app. I got the 21B10 done Thursday and I don't notice any ill effects on shifting or driveability. They didn't do the 21N08.

Eric_B

Reaction score
Nice! Make the Dealership perform. Shoot us an update after you get it back please.
Okay, diesel start-up came back a few weeks later so I brought it back in. My writer said the cam phaser problems are far too common, but he's NEVER seen one come back after having them replaced. He's sent the case to Ford and we're waiting on word back from the top.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really want to sell my 2019 exp, but it has the cam phaser issue and i really dont want to **** that off on someone else, however, my dealership wont fix it. Laundry list of excuses from a bad oil filter causing the problem to there is a software fix coming... Does anyone know of escalation point within ford that have worked to get it fixed or can i use an outside mechanic to do the warranty work? It only has 28k miles on it and also has the extended warranty so this should be a no brainer to get warranty work approved.
thx

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it to another dealership. Preferably a bigger one. (the bigger the better we have heard on here)
And dont go in asking go in telling,
Do your homework on the other threads about cam phasers get the (what is it TBS#?) and be ready to tell all the symptoms. Learn what they did to get the repair done and use that to your advantage. You have to go in letting them know you will not take no for an answer.
Squeeky wheel gets the grease.