Another dreaded Oil question.

Which oil do you use in your truck?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I seriously doubt anyone would have issues getting X amount of miles even on the cheapest store brand oil as long as oil is changed within reasonable intervals. Exception may be high performance motors where oil may see extreme temperatures.

Synthetic just gives you extra margin of protection that can tolerate much higher temps and extreme conditions with out breaking down or coking up.

I have seen where synthetics have gained hp over conventional oil on the dyno test. This was in an older pushrod mustang which also has more frictional losses compared to the overhead cam mod motors. But the gains were on the line of 1-2 % for changing all fluids over to synthetic so don't expect to see any real seat of the pants improvement.

Beardskii

Reaction score
I ust want to be able to benefit from the 5 Qt. and oil filter deals...always have to buy that Extra Qt.....jerks..

B

bedrck46

Buy 3 5qt containers and 2 filters and you will have enough for 2 oil and filter changes with a few qts left over Just love it when the engine and filter takes 6qts but you can only get a 5qt container but don't worry what you don't use wont go bad as long as you keep it in the container sealed

Beardskii

Reaction score
Buy 3 5qt containers and 2 filters and you will have enough for 2 oil and filter changes with a few qts left over Just love it when the engine and filter takes 6qts but you can only get a 5qt container but don't worry what you don't use wont go bad as long as you keep it in the container sealed

Smart man. btw when changing the oil filter i forgot to rub the old oil around the ring of the new filter but then i figured enough oil dripped over the mounting threads removing the old oil filter I'm sure it would grease up the new filter fine.

thats logical thinking right?

B

bedrck46

I always rub NEW oil around the gasket but then I also wipe the mounting flange clean first

Beardskii

Reaction score
I always rub NEW oil around the gasket but then I also wipe the mounting flange clean first

Iiiii did neither...any real concerns? I mean come on, it's a rubber gasket, it's going to expand with teh heat anyways right?

I mean what's the worst that can happen.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Iiiii did neither...any real concerns? I mean come on, it's a rubber gasket, it's going to expand with teh heat anyways right?

I mean what's the worst that can happen.

What I have found in the past is that the seal tends to seize and make it more difficult to remove the filter. Its only happened to me once when I was still fairly new to working on cars.

The same logic applies to not using the filter wrench to tighten the filter, only doing it hand tight.

Beardskii

Reaction score
What I have found in the past is that the seal tends to seize and make it more difficult to remove the filter. Its only happened to me once when I was still fairly new to working on cars.

The same logic applies to not using the filter wrench to tighten the filter, only doing it hand tight.

Well if there was any doubt in your mind..I hand tightened the shit out of that thing so...reprocussions?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Royal Purple and KN Filter never had problem,

Ran cheaper stuff on other motors that I have torn down and seen the difference.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if there was any doubt in your mind..I hand tightened the shit out of that thing so...reprocussions?

Well I did not doubt that you hand tightened it since it is oil change 101. Like I said I left the oil off the seal once and the filter took a little more work to get off, but it still came off. As long as you put it on hand tight (even really hand tight) it will come off I am sure.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani