Anyone know what this vacuum component is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kcexplorer

Reaction score
Hi there, I recently posted in regard to a likley vaccum leak on my 2003 expy xlt. I was getting p0171 and p0174 codes. I checked the PCV elbow and it looks good, however I did find leaks here. With the left hose disconnected (see picture) the truck ran and sounded okay. I took a broken piece of the connector to connect it for the time being. I would like to find out what this piece is called so i can get the elbows replaced. Thanks for your help.

IMG_0053.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a check valve. One inlet / two outlets. Do you have a junk yard in your town ? Or are you just talking about the rubber hoses ?

OP
OP
K

kcexplorer

Reaction score
Thanks. I replaced the hoses, but idk about the valve. I have a vacuum leak and problems with HVAC system only blowing through the defrost (possibly due to loss of vaccum). Any way to check if this check valve is bad? If it is, does anyone know if it would cause a leak?
Thanks

Plati

Reaction score
I'm think that might be the one that disintegrated on mine and caused air to only come out my defrost instead of panel & floor. I replaced the hoses and it instantly fixed air blowing inside cabin. 2003 EXPY Hard to tell exactly without taking computer out to engine compartment.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air always comes out my defrosters lately no matter what, doesn’t stop unless I shut the fan off. The wacky thing is every other mode works perfect but it still comes out the defrost. I’ve learned to live with it.

Plati

Reaction score
I'm think that might be the one that disintegrated on mine and caused air to only come out my defrost instead of panel & floor. I replaced the hoses and it instantly fixed air blowing inside cabin. 2003 EXPY Hard to tell exactly without taking computer out to engine compartment.
Yes, same connection ... I replaced a hose ... had to remove battery to get to it.
I just took a lousy picture but that fixed the defrost only problem.
IMG_0019.JPG

OP
OP
K

kcexplorer

Reaction score
Great. I have plenty of hose so I will pull the battery and inspect the hose tomorrow. Thanks so much!

dlyoung1

Reaction score
Let me jump in and bump the post with a related issue. Just finished doing an a/c evac and recharge on the wife's '03 XLT and I have a similar but not quite identical problem. The entire climate system works just fine, EXCEPT a/c on the MAX (Recirc) setting. Nice, cool air comes out of the dash vents at idle, but smoothly transitions to the defrost vents when I hit the accelerator. Soon as I take my foot off the gas, it transitions back to dash vents. I traced the exact same line as the original poster above, replaced a splice that seemed to have "collapsed" at the check valve / tee, but no joy on the problem. The end of that line is the vacuum reservoir tank next to the battery. Could I have a cracked line under there that ONLY affects the recirc door circuit, or is it more like somewhere in the cabin under the dash (closer to the door mechanism)? Thanks in advance!

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me jump in and bump the post with a related issue. Just finished doing an a/c evac and recharge on the wife's '03 XLT and I have a similar but not quite identical problem. The entire climate system works just fine, EXCEPT a/c on the MAX (Recirc) setting. Nice, cool air comes out of the dash vents at idle, but smoothly transitions to the defrost vents when I hit the accelerator. Soon as I take my foot off the gas, it transitions back to dash vents. I traced the exact same line as the original poster above, replaced a splice that seemed to have "collapsed" at the check valve / tee, but no joy on the problem. The end of that line is the vacuum reservoir tank next to the battery. Could I have a cracked line under there that ONLY affects the recirc door circuit, or is it more like somewhere in the cabin under the dash (closer to the door mechanism)? Thanks in advance!
You still have a vacuum leak. Sorry I can't help pinpoint further but keep chasing vacuum lines