Anyone seen this or heard of it before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kountrykeith

Reaction score
Pulled the tank, removed the pump. It was all corroded with a yellow and green sort of grainy or crystal like appearance. The rubber boot at the bottom is half okay and half melting and becoming sticky goo. Never seen this with rotten fuel. Some sort of chemical reaction? Thoughts please.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ETHANOL? And age more than likely

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled the tank, removed the pump. It was all corroded with a yellow and green sort of grainy or crystal like appearance. The rubber boot at the bottom is half okay and half melting and becoming sticky goo. Never seen this with rotten fuel. Some sort of chemical reaction? Thoughts please.

Sounds similar to what I found in the tank of my 86 BMW K100 motorcycle. The rubber boot holding the fuel pump in its holder had essentially transformed into this rubbery goo.

Pump 2.JPG

Plati

Reaction score
Rubber parts can turn to goo over time, like 20 years or less.
I've seen it (for example) in old Xerox printers.
Old new stock in a box does it ... having never been used.
Chemical deterioration over time.
Actually don't know if its rubber or some other fancy rubber like material.

One day couple years ago the steering wheel in my 2003 Expy did that.
The surface turned gooey and stuck on my hands, that was weird.
Then the next day it was fine and hasn't happened again (yet).

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have noticed that on all of our vehicles, a form of black mold appears from inside the fuel door to the exterior fender. This mold apparently feeding on the sugars if the ethanol. I have no idea what it is doing to the interior of the tank. I did have my fuel pump replaced due to failure last year. I did not think to request to see the parts.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk